No announcement yet.

Help me with finding a Georgia point:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with finding a Georgia point:)

Don’t know if I’m in the appropriate spot but I’m looking for someone to help me go on a search for a Georgia artifact. I know nobody here because my home site was Arrowheadology as ColoradoEthan. We r visiting Tybee Island. But I’m real hooked on arrowhead hunting so I’ll drive any direction a few hours away. So if someone could help either wanting to go for a hunt or point me in the right direction or even some basic tips for hunting that area it would be great. We get there March 23-29th. Thanks

Ethan, welcome to the site! I moved your post into Artifact Questions and Answers, you'll get a lot more looks. Good luck and hope you find someone that can hook you up.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome Ethan. cant help you with Georgia.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

You're probably dead set on finding a point, but Tybee is know for some really cool shark teeth.

Comment

Where is Tybee located?
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Watch out for gators, I saw a scary 12 or 14 footer on the news from Ga.

No matter the state look for a sandy beach where theres none others around and you have half a chance of finding a point.
          New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that beast to thick body. They said it was in bad health that’s why they took it out. Looks pretty healthy to me sure wasn’t missing any meals

I love that area, spent a month down there a year or so ago...Tybee Island, Jekyll Island, Savannah, that whole area is gorgeous. I heard some locals say that Rockafeller built his Jekyll Island mansion on an old Native village, but who knows if that has any truth to it. I planned on looking for points while i was there also, but didn't have much luck...just a few flakes. That area down there is so sandy I really didn't know how to hunt it (nothing like where I hunt in Kentucky)...I was staying around Patterson and a few of the locals there suggested a few of the rivers, but I never got time to check em out.

I'd say your best bet would probably be to look at google maps and just follow a few of the rivers (there's a ton of em in that area)...possibly even take a look at boat rentals. Good Luck

Comment

• georgiafieldwalker
            georgiafieldwalker commented
            Editing a comment
            The land is so flat in SE Georgia that the rivers can be difficult. The water moves slower and you don't get many (if any) gravel bars. The artifacts are there, they're just under a few feet of sand.

Georgia is a hot spot for NA artifacts . Lots of pottery .
          For me I am a field walker looking for camps . You have to get permission but a fresh plowed field , any timber being cut down . A creek with sand bars ,,the list goes on like most states . I can’t give you any particular area but most of the SW - SE has the most beautiful lithics . After this storm there are going to be some finds for sure .

Comment

Welcome Ethan
            South Dakota

Comment

Do a google search of known prehistoric archeological sites in the area. They usually try to hide precise locations from the public so "pothunters" don't intrude on the sites but you can sometimes find out the general area that campsites were located and search nearby creeks, gravel bars. Good luck.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                At the same time you should be well aware of the people that have been busted for looting in that area. So maybe you might want to read some on the net before you go look. Most of the people busted in Georgia come from that county I’d be well aware before I went to have a look. Always ask Permisson
            Working...
            X