• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief info

Click image for larger version

Name:	081C5641-A3CE-4832-82B9-6002AEF0DB00.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	354433 Im on vacation in Florida and stopped at a favorite antique store on the way down and picked this up. Does anyone know who the chief is? Has a small rip in it but watched a video on how to repair it looks easy. Artists name is Russell and that’s about all I know. Any help on the history of it would be nice. Thank you
    NW Georgia,

I couldn't find anything about your artist, but I did find a couple identical paintings (just different color backgrounds) by a guy named J.Ruxton...just says the piece is titled "The Chief", no info about who the chief is and/or if it was an actual person.

Comment

Think it’s Sitting Bull I found a artist called C Russell but not sure if it’s the same guy
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• creekside
        creekside commented
        Editing a comment
        I found 4 or 5 artist with the last name Russell (none of them signed their work the same way as yours)...the most famous probably being C.M Russell, or Charles Marion Russell. He did a lot of Native American Indian work, but he has a very different signature and style. Most of the C.M Russell paintings I've seen are just as much about the landscape in the background as they are about the people in the foreground.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I was hoping they were the same person but C Russell is different from just Russell from what I can see. It’s still a nice painting and what I paid wouldn’t cover the frame. Going in my man cave. Thanks for the help

I like researching, thanks for the lead
      NW Georgia,

Comment

That's cool Glen
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought so to but at the same time I figured it was something only a few would like so I offered a low amount it wasn’t priced. Owner took the offer

Is it a painting or a print or a pic
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I could fix the damage myself but if it has value I should get it restored professionally instead so I’m trying to find out which way to go on it

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't see the damage

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s hidden in his feathers but small don’t want the whole to get bigger

So....I think i finally figured it out.

Its someones reproduction of a painting by Alfredo Rodriguez "Chief Strong Wind" done in 1977

Check the guy out (Alfredo Rodriguez) his work is amazing

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I will look him up I hope you didn’t stay up all night looking but yes I bought it in Florida so it’s very possible a Spanish person painted it

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked him up never did find the same pic by Russell so it might be a Repro and a no name artist but still a nice painting thanks for the help and now we know the chief

and here's a cool legend/story to go along with it...

Strong Wind Once there was a great warrior named Strong Wind. He lived with his sister in a tent on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. Strong Wind had an amazing power. He was able to make himself invisible. His sister could see him, but no one else could. He said he would marry the…

Comment

I bet everyone was afraid to admit they could see him
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Cool little folklore
            South Dakota

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep has a story I felt like it reached out to me so I bought it

That is a nice "reproduction"
            Here is my favorite "Chief Strong Wind"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chief Strong Wind by Alfredo Rodriguez.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	354606 ​​​​​​​
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              Man he looks happier here ...in Glen's. He's really upset. It seems

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes that’s the money shot with all the background added in mine wasn’t bad for the price. That one sold for over 4K where mine is worth a small fraction of it. But will look good on the wall

The headdress on the man in the painting would rule out him being from the Atlantic coast. That’s a depiction of a Plains area native.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s interesting I was wondering where he was from

Well thanks for all the great information about my painting. I’m still in Florida for the moment. Probably leaving in a day or so. It was a nice visit but they like their warm temperatures. Air gets set at 78 and heat gets set at 77 I’m sweating to death be nice to get back home 😃
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Well it’s not Charles Marion Russell .. an originalcan sell for over a million .
              I checked the signiture and he signs his full name in most pieces and like some artists puts a little fun mark .
              His can be a skull buffalo .
              ill look around but matching the signiture is the first start .
              Any dates on the back . It’s it canvas with oil . I know lots of questions can come up but it helps .
              very nice find and I want to help .

Comment

I didn’t see anything else but Russell on it not even a first name of any kind. I don’t think it’s rare but somebody had some talent. I’m back home and survived Atlanta once again on 75. Only 1 back up didn’t go the bypass due to all of the big trucks I know they have to go bypass, thanks Tam
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                X