Worked glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worked glass?

I just don't know bout this piece...found it down my river spot ...looks worked ...and a cute little net weight...surprised? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195637.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	355964 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195319.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	355965 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195404.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	355966 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195516.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	355967 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195553.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	355968 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195732.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	355969 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190312_195723.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	355970
    SW Connecticut

As a knapper myself that appears to be worked for sure with pressure flaking- but that’s about where my helpfulness will end with this one, I’m as stumped as you are! If I had to guess, maybe a modern knapper was knapping old glass there? What age range are artifacts in the spot most commonly found?
    Last edited by eannis6; 03-12-2019, 07:49 PM.
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Eannis....I'd say late archaic to late woodland...

Looks like what you would expect to see on an end scraper. Don't know much about how a piece of glass would break down naturally, but since its only on the one end and overlapping, I think worked for sure. The only question is when.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man I wasn't sure if tumbling around if river rocks would bang it up ..the other edges have me baffled unless it was bigger and cracked

I agree it looks like that one end was distinctly pressure flaked. I was also thinking it looks like a classic scraper, but looking at it a second time the only thing that bugs me is the edge a bit erratic, not a smooth continuous arc like you would want for a scraper.

No idea what any of that adds up to, though.
    Central Virginia

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the Input Keith..NAs in the contact period did use glass I think. I'm trying to see what's erratic that your talking bout...I did find a complete point there long ago that baffled me too

Red it could have flowed down stream from a camp up the the back country. If it was made where you found it It was probably recent made. If I recall properly Oxford was setteled 1788 At that time the whites had already setteled below there and Old Birmingham, Milford and Stratford where well on their way with settlements on the Startford side reaching into todays White Hills area of Shelton. Old Bimingham now Derby was all the way out to Oxford. They gave rights to Oxford, Seymour and Ansonia away because the city fathers back then thought that the money was in owning the Warfs near down town Derby. ( That is how Derby became the smallest city in CT. They gave it away.) There was not much shipping past The White Hills Area because the Housitonic got way too shallow up that way. The rapids near Stevenson Dam was a barrier for larger craft. There was a boat building operation close to Indian Wells because they got a lot of white oak out of the forests in White Hills.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the history Hoss ...I hope it flowed down like you said.. I don't wanna think somebody's knapping and salting the river where I love to walk and kick. ..I did find a whole glass point that I am up in the air about . Man if someone's doing that....I guess anything's possible

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeff Tottenham was a knapper from Seymour he broke stuff where ever he went. I would go to a field the he frequented and find fresh broke quartz all over the dang field. He knew about that site you hunt . It was well known after Lucianne did a dig there in the 80's prior to that it was only known to a few of us as far as I know. Supposedly where the condos are now there was a lot of stuff found there by old man Multhrope. He sold most of his stuff to Bill Latasse owner of the old Shelton Sport Center. . Wow I dropped a few names there. Bought my first shotgun from Bill. I still have it. Bought it used an Ithica model 37 feather light in 20 guage. Serial number is 100,xxx so it was an ealy one. I think production on them is over 7,000,000 now. That thing stopped everything that crossed its path. LOL Uncanny it knew just where to point.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Matt that's s blast from the past...Shelton sports center.....evry spring I'd go an get a new rod and reel...I distinctly remember a 5 foot flueger rod and little green Penn reel ..for trout...both made in America......and I think there'd a Tottenham dance school in Seymour to this day.. I've probably come across some of his break piles I bet

I have a piece that looks worked I hang onto but mine is brown glass. I wonder how old the glass is as to when the color was produced I believe that should give you a time frame on it.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that old clear lead glass tints blue, green, or violet after years of exposure to UV light, so that would indicate that glass is very old indeed, if I'm correct.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool thanks for the input rockon

It sure looks worked to me
    South Dakota

Comment

This is really turning out to be an interesting thread! If that is a glass artifact indeed that is so neat. Because it appears worked, I suppose it all comes down to timing! Thanks for sharing!
      If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

I agree that it looks like a scraper also. I've got a couple pieces of worked glass.
        here is a link to a pdf about utilized glass in Rhode Island. Just click the link and the paper will download.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Is worked bro, a glass artifact !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I think worked glass is darn near all over the country. Most artifact hunters see glass and just don’t check it. Here, the buffalo hunters enslaved the NA people to scrape hides, while they kilt off their food source. As the flint trade was destroyed, the enslaved NA had to resort to the use of the buffalo hunters glass bottles...Anyway, for awhile the slaves ate well... Sad.

I'll always check glass from now on ...and enslaving Na wasn't right. As we know. Thanx
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Found another piece of what loo Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_200533.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	361413 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_200552.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	361414 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_200620.jpg