Microscope Help & Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microscope Help & Suggestions

Hi Guys I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question, I am still trying to find my way around the forum & this seemed like the closest fit.
    To make a long story short I have been collecting on and off for about 35 years. I had a very nice collection that was lost in a house fire and I sort of lost my steam after that. My daughter gave me a point she had found with me from years ago and it sort of sparked my interest again.

I would like to get a microscope mainly to examine and take pictures of my points. My main goal is to take high res pictures so the camera is an important feature to me. Honestly I would mainly be looking at my computer screen vs through the Microscope. (My computer is pretty high end so that wont be a problem) I also want to be able to check out mineral deposits etc.
    Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated..
    Thank you, Blair

AmScope has some good half price digital scopes on now....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

you need a good 10 x scope 20x is good too but anytjing above that and you are looking beyond what you need to see. As far as equipment I have an amscope.. I am happy with it. I do not have a camera set up so you are asking the wrong guy about that. I suppose you could get a good macro shooter that adapts to the eye piece on a scope. I used to have a friend that did some digi-scope stuff using Canon A 70 point and shoot with a eye p[iece adapter to a big game and target spotting scope to shoot pictures of birds at great distance. The guy's photos were out of this world. He had the technique down for sure. I mention this because if you have a point and shoot with a good macro setting you may be able to adapt it to a Am scope . I guess that would only be if budget was of concern.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a quick search and there are companies still making digiscope adapters. They should work as well with a microscope as they do with a spotting scope.

Off for the day but will look at mine for ya . I to connect to just a lap top .
      you don’t have to invest much if you are just looking at minerals and fossils .
      I think mine goes up to 1000 and that to much . Paid for its self in vet bills . That’s another story .
      get back to ya .

Comment

Thank you guys for some of the Tips, After looking around a little I assume the Digital microscopes wouldn't work to well? Has anyone found something that worked really good? I appreciate the Tip on the digiscope adapters Hoss, I like that Idea for High res photography, I may explore that some more? Any other Brands besides AMscope to consider? If you guys have a chance can you post the Models you have that worked really well for you?

Comment

Mine is put away right now but this is the model . I like the goose neck feature because you can get bigger artifacts under it. This model also comes with a great built in ligh. A friend of mine has a goose neck but it had no light so he had to purchase lighting seperate. It increases costs. You do not want a scope which has the specimen platform below the lense. It will not work for artifact examination.
        Last edited by Hoss; 01-20-2022, 05:29 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Amscope also sells cameras I do not have one I am not trying to sell this for them I only add the link so you know there are options out there for what you are looking to accomplish. https://www.amscope.com/1-2mp-low-li...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

I have an Omax , but the vet story is not that exciting .
            Somthing as simple as an ear mite can be seen . So instead of hauling the pets down for simple things like that I’ll look under the microscope . Vet bills are so expensive so I try to do the simple stuff myself . Just a couple of visits for that will pay for it .

Comment

I’m using an Apple iPad and I purchased a cheap WiFi microscope. It maybe to strong. 40 x 100. It takes good still picks.

Comment

That’s perfect . I think Tom uses that .

Comment

If I have a tool that has paleo secondary flaking , I can’t see it unless I use an iPhone at about 8x

Comment

Working...
                  X