Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting, framing, displaying artifacts

Hello,
    I am sure this is covered somewhere but I couldn't find a complete answer.
    How in the world do you display artifacts? I have a lot of them and I am not sure how to accomplish the project. Do I glue? If so, what kind? Where do you find frames? Do you just buy one and hope the board itself will fit the depth?
    The pieces I will be displaying are arrowheads and scrapers so nothing too heavy.
    Thanks in advance for guidance!
    Last edited by Avoidthecrops; 04-11-2019, 09:14 PM.

There is specially made artifact cases designed to hold arrowheads against the glass with enough pressure that the points won't move. Not sure where you are and if you go to artifact shows but I pick mine up at arrowhead shows. This way I save the shipping cost. There is also cases made for thicker pieces. If you were in Ga. there is an arrowhead show this weekend in Moultrie Ga. and a person will be there selling cases. I have seen the points glued on boards and also wired on boards but I like the cases I described the best
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Here is a case with some artifacts in it Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6240.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	357124
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Gezzz Johnny droll

• Avoidthecrops
        Avoidthecrops commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a Hatchett Creek case?

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        It is, I picked it up when I was at Silver River Knap in in Florida from Chris.

The cases are best. When glued or wired and tied down with fishing line you cannot see the reverse side of each point. When you keep your points in a pressure frame you can open it rearange them pick them up examine them. For years my Dad and I glued them in place in permanent displays. Now I have the chore of removing the glue from them all and buying new frames for them. It is going to take some time to get it done.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hello atc, welcome to the forum. Never glue any kind of relics to anything. Some glues will leave a stain on the relic that can’t be removed.

Comment

Depending on what you have or how many you have, you might start out with Riker Frames, they are fairly affordable. But as for me I prefer glass cases and pressure, as Hoss says it is to valuable to me to remove them from the case and look at or show others. One thing I have used on smaller points which sometimes slide with larger points in a riker is Loctite poster putty, it is blue and does not seem to stain artifacts that you put it on. Hope that helps a bit. _ Bill

Comment

I agree on being able to open and look at them . Many of hours have been spent taking them out and telling the story of how it was found . You really like the pressure case with the latch to open it up .

Comment

I like wooden cases I build my own good rainy day project . Red Maple .

Comment

• Avoidthecrops
                Avoidthecrops commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool, wish I had that talent!

WTG SF, very nice display case. Wish I could make tight miter joints like you. Great job.

Comment

I like the frames that you can open but having a few 100 nice points the cost and room they would take just don't work for me. I used them for awhile and now have went to hardwood plaques I buy at Hobby Lobby and finish them. I cover them with felt and then drill holes after I get all positioned where I want them then use 5 lb mono fishing line to tie them on. Can't take em off less I re-tie them but works for me.
                SE IA

Comment

• Avoidthecrops
                  Avoidthecrops commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice! I don't really care to have the ability to handle them. I just want them on the board and hang 'em on the wall. Thanks for the description as to how you do it, might give it a try!

Nice work Southfork, how I miss my woodshop, that is really a nice frame. I have built a couple of my own frames as well. Miters are tricky no matter what the project.

Comment

Working...
                X