Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Ball?

Callaway County Creek find

My cousin and I took a walk in his favorite creek this evening. He picked this up... Now i dont know jack about this kinda stuff but this is a perfectly round ball and is very smooth and to me looks pecked and polished. Then again i am not good at all at identifying man made alterations on stuff thats not knapped. Is it a game ball? I cant wait for our local experts opinion on it so i wanted to post it here for some insight.

Those are about one of the hardest things to get a positive ID on. Seeing it’s white I’m going to say milling ball on it which isn’t old as in ancient.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I agree with SH, it’s a tough call. Two ways of thinking, if there were others close easy to say mill bearing . If not could be a game stone. JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I think they were used as game balls (aka marbles) by kids, although not their original purpose..
        MARBLES Yes, marbles are artefacts… they’re just not Native American artefacts, and they may not be very old. Marbles as we know them were first made in
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Have to agree with the panel, hard call. I found two pieces, one identical in size and appearance to yours, and another that was 2.5" when I showed them to my mentor he said the 2.5" one was definitely a game ball and the smaller one was a mill stone!! hell he could be wrong, but always steered me right. They are a hard topic at times those game balls.

Comment

I bought a big one once to find out it was made out of that white clay and was a milling ball good thing I wasn’t into it for much
            Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 03-24-2019, 12:45 PM.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Sorry eeverybody, been really busy the past several days and havent had time to get back here. Im leaning towards the board as well. I have found some late 1800s historical atlas maps for callaway county. Will have to check if there was any building along this creek at that time.

In the mean time still waiting to meet up with our local expert to confirm, never hurts. Thanks for the all the information you all have provided!
              Last edited by DitchLeeper; 03-25-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X