Bought stone axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought stone axe

I should be getting it in a few days. I don't know much about it other than it was purchased from an estate in florida. I paid (x amount) for it because I think it's cool, but am curious what the experts(or knowledgeable persons) think. All comments welcomed.
    Last edited by JesseJames; 03-28-2019, 08:30 PM. Reason: edited for redundancy and rules

Looks to be made from Hematite
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!
      Last edited by JesseJames; 03-27-2019, 08:42 PM.

Thats .a nice axe
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy!

Nice axe. Almost certainly not from Florida, it could be from further north (Midwest) or maybe even the Southwest. The Hohokam made some chubby 3/4 groove axes that are polished up like that one.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, that helps narrow it down a bit. Appreciate it! For some reason, I thought maybe ohio?? But I'm far from knowledgeable on the subject.

It will feel heavy like a hunk of iron if it’s hematite
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Really interesting. I know they used hematite for tons of ceremonial practices, but had no idea they worked it into tools!

Very nice
    South Dakota

Comment

JJ , artifacts are like art . It’s what it’s worth to you . If you look at it and it makes you so happy and adds to your collection then any price in your budget is well spent .
      This forum does not discuss prices but you could look up comparable ones .
      The guys led you with some great information on it .

Comment

• JesseJames
        JesseJames commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoops! I'll be sure not to mention it again(price), and will edit it out. Thank you!

• JesseJames
        JesseJames commented
        Editing a comment
        I also agree, and look at them like art too.

Very nice.
      December 6, 2017
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• JesseJames
        JesseJames commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm impressed Tom! Nice work! I was pretty surprised to find it on amazon, and by the looks of it, it's been listed on there for over two years!!!

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not going to the price but you got a good deal on it

• JesseJames
        JesseJames commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SH, I looked at eBay before making an offer. I saw one roughly the same size and very similar in style on auction with a buy it now price listed at $10 less than what I offered. It wasn't quite as nice though, hence the higher offer. The seller has hundreds of items listed, but this is the only artifact I saw. I think they were ready to get rid of it!

Package came last night, but opened this morning. Pictures do no justice, it looks perfect and has a great heft for its' size. Just a little bigger than palm sized, but weighs over 1.5 pounds. After doing some reading online, I read that the south west was the biggest origin for these types of things. They found them concentrated in rock quarries. Makes me wonder since you'd think they'd have a need for axes on the east coast and west coast as well, but maybe they used celts instead?

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Some think they were used as wedges also. That would fit into your theory. Maybe it was used to pry rocks idk could of been used for many things

• JesseJames
        JesseJames commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting.
    Working...
    X