Full groove axe bought from frame guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full groove axe bought from frame guy

I've slowly been showing my stone tool collection since joining this great forum. I just bought a 3/4 grooved axe a couple days ago, but these photos are of the first one I owned. I picked it up for a very nominal price several years ago and i'm pretty sure the gentleman found it in the midwest in association with arrowheads and other lithic tools. I don't know much about these, but I do know that full groove axes are apparently amongst the earliest types used, and they seem much less common than 1/2 and 3/4 grooved on eBay. I have no idea what kind of rock was used and the patina is just insane on this thing. Any input is welcomed. Thanks!

The ax probably from the Archaic period and made from Steelatite but they did use granite and hematite along with any other hard dense stone they could find. It’s a nice one
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I also bought a tiny pestle from the same individual. I've never seen another like it. It's very symmetrical, and seems like it was used for pigment. Posting later today

Long time ago, people found those, did not know what they were. I’ve heard that the bigger ones were used for door stops !At least they knew the axes were something and brought em home. Once as a young man , I saw a farm house with the path to the shed ( Car Port today) lined with matate stones, about 40 of them, OMG ! Anyway , good looking axe.... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a lot of mono stones! They seem more interesting lying next to/on their corresponding grinding rocks, but what are you gonna do? A good indication that the inside collection must be pretty impressive if the mono stones go outside on the ground.

I concur, that is a fine specimen.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Thats mad cool
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
    X