Tiny pestle from same long time collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny pestle from same long time collector

Recently, I've posted a couple items I bought from an individual who grew up in South Dakota and hunted all over the mid-west on family camping trips back when arrowhead hunting was a popular american pastime. I got these things from him after he'd had them for decades, and only because it was time to sell and he had no family left that were interested. I only purchased a relatively small amount of his collection, but got some of the first picks. I wish I'd just spent the money now that I look back and bought everything but a the time, I already felt that I was overspending on unnecessary things I didn't really need.

Anyways, here is this small pestle I was lucky to have the opportunity of buying. He didn't want to sell it the first time I purchased a frame from him, but subsequently offered it up for basically nothing after I'd been by a few times. It's probably one of my top three favorite items. I really like symmetrical pestles, and this one is a beauty. It's got a lot of use or somebody spent some time polishing, because it has a great feel and color. It still has residue on the business end and i'd guess this was used for spiritual and/or medicinal purposes. My gut tells me it was used for pigments, perhaps hematite. Who knows? I'd love to get it analyzed. As usual, all comments welcomed!

Thats. A cool pestle
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• JesseJames
      JesseJames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Well made pestle, I like it !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

A very cool piece, congrats on having that in your collection!
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I appreciate all the positive feedback! I'm wondering if the size is a dead giveaway to the tools' intended use or maybe even a clue to its' locality of origin? If anyone has thoughts on this, please share. Thanks,
        J

Comment

That is cool.

I suppose a small pestle would be used in a small morter. Small things are precious. Maybe medicine?
          California

Comment

• JesseJames
            JesseJames commented
            Editing a comment
            along the same line as my thinking
        Working...
        X