Copper artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper artifacts

While recently reading a post started by tomf about transition to metal I started to think about copper artifacts and as I read the replies to the post I also noticed that Bruce mentioned about copper, I also remembered reading some where about copper axeheads being found here in Ontario not, so I was just curious if any of you have found any copper artifacts, and if so if you would be kind enough to share some stories or photos of them as I am very interested in this type of artifact.
    Here is another short article about copper artifacts. https://archaeologymuseum.ca/copper-...uring-archaic/

I wish. Fascinated by the fact that they exist here and the history of copper in and around the Great Lakes and beyond. But still waiting to find that first piece. Like you I would also like to see what folks have found.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

This is a copper twist "Kaskaskia" arrowhead used by the Seminoles, found on a coastal midden in central gulf coast FL. We have found 3 on this site.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• rock ON.
        rock ON. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a very interesting design the way they rolled it in a cone fashion, I guess they would have just glued it onto a shaft instead of hafting. Thanks for sharing.

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom, what is the source of the copper there?

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Seminoles on the run here because of that scoundrel Jackson used copper from any European source they could get. Earlier native tribes had occasional metal objects, including silver and gold, that were scavenged from Spanish and Cuban shipwrecks.

Here is a good link on old copper culture artifacts:
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• rock ON.
        rock ON. commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow thanks for that link! I never imagined there were that many different types of copper artifacts, I new about axeheads and points but this is something
        great to know about all these other things when metal detecting as well as artifact hunting.

You might enjoy these photo heavy pages as well.....

Artifacts of the Old Copper Complex or Old Copper Culture. Ancient copper mines of the Lake Superior Region.

Rhode Island

Comment

• rock ON.
        rock ON. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great! Thanks for the link to that site I'll bookmark that for future reference.
    Working...
    X