fake relics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fake relics

oh boy, i am starting to see people use my parents name, selling FAKE moderns that have possibly been made to look old, my attny is reaching out to the auction house that sells relics and to others using our name,hopefully it will be blasted all over the internet that they are FAKES,and have no connection to us at all,

Interesting introduction. Hope you are successful in stopping these people. Good luck
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm sure many of us would be glad to help get out the word.....but of course......we need the Name.

Comment

Huh ? I missed some info here.....JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I understand the emotion of it, but do not make any public accusations without consulting your attorney! If you currently own the moral high ground, don't be tempted to give any of it up. The last thing you need is to give some scumbag a shot at a defamation case against you.
          Central Virginia

Comment

As a relic hunter, flintknapper, arrowhead hunter, and collector, one thing I despise is a fake. I enjoy reproductions, as long as they are labeled as such. The fact that they are using your parents name is frankly shocking. I hope you catch that guy, and he gets punished for that.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It is ridiculous with the number of fake reproductions that are put into the collectors market and represented as AUTHENTIC. I believe that any artifacts that are not marked as a copy or reproduction should be destroyed. I have been scanning the internet for a REAL paleo Clovis and it is close to non existent yet the search pulls up hundreds that are being sold as authentic but almost every single one of them has no patina and appear to have been freshly napped with some story or name mentioned to create a provenance. It is becoming a huge problem for honest collectors.
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I do not buy...unless from a friend and usually have to be with them to want to buy a piece. I have saved searches for sales of Florida pieces on several sites and I get emails daily to look at them. Been doing this since first entered Internet Days. I've looked at thousands of "Florida" pieces online. I've handled thousands, too. I am not a Typologist, but a Lumper. I would only do authentication for myself or my hunting friends. All that said...Back in the Day there was the Old Style artifact scene of of local groups named or not, shows once a year just get-togethers, maybe some ads in magazines for buckets of Indian points lol... Then the Internet started getting more people together and involved with forums like this.....fast forward kinda quick and FaceBook takes over.... (#%$^&* to FaceBook!). Sales....COA's..!! Sales and COA's became more and more numerous and spurious. The decline in my lifetime of this hobby has been just horrible.
                The daily emails I get for Florida material are usually 3 categories. Fake. Funky. Fine (rare). There are two "FL" "Authentic" shell bead necklaces on there right now that are HA HA with a COA from across the country. I can't believe the jerks giving out COA's. To Fake a COA is even worse! I'm gonna bail on this thread it PO's me so bad MEH
                PM me who it is lol and boom.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• tomf
                  tomf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That makes a depressing read,Tom.

The internet is the root of many evils, for sure.

In spite of that, it's an incredible resource that allows us the chance to find a place and people to share our passion with.

It seems that if you have a mind to buy artifacts you better know your stuff.

For me it's only exciting if I find a piece myself. I can imagine the thing in the context of this particular environment which feels very satisfying,

Maybe, if this disease progresses, I'll need to get my fix through my wallet, but so far I'm content with debitage, brokes and the occasional beauty.

At least I know they are 100% authentic.

I've tried to find the article I read once but if I remember correctly, it was estimated that over a million fake artifacts have been produced just since the rise of ebay. Tens of thousands every year are now being produced and put into circulation. If that is even close to accurate, then I would have a hard time ever trusting anything I did not find myself.
                Central Ohio

Comment

Working...
                X