Unaltered Ancient Paleo Clovis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unaltered Ancient Paleo Clovis

How many unaltered paleo Clovis exists that are actually known? Please share any pictures of these ancient masterpieces that are undeniably authentic. I only have one in my collection and it had seen its better day over 10k Years ago but it is still my favorite with the slight ear ding and the most beautiful ugly patina that I have ever seen lol. I can still imagine how beautiful it was before it was used and then lost for thousands of years until the rain washed it out of an eroding cornfield on the edge of a bayou bank.
    SE ARKANSAS

Welcome to the site ....I’ve always thought that most complete Clovis points were either in a cache or a grave good ..Certainly out here where I live, the nearest quarry is 120 miles away so nearly all my finds with the exception of prehistoric points have been resharpened... In my pic, #1 ,# 3 and # 5 are most complete. The large Plainview was and the Folsom were resharpened. #2 and #4..... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Brier Creek
      Brier Creek commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are amazing— you Texas boys have all the luck!

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow.... all i can say.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Only way to have “ Luck” is to make it happen !

Thanks Lindenmeier Man! I appreciate you sharing those epic paleo beauties with us! It amazes me to see the best flaking patterns are usually the oldest examples. I read an article that stated less than 13,000 true paleo Clovis are known and documented so not many people will ever have the privilege of holding one of these “Masterpieces”
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to read that article. Do you remember where you read it and can you post a link to it?

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      There might be more that aren’t documented than one would like to believe. I tried to contact the state entity here Responsible for documenting such things several times by several methods to share mine with them, and I’ve never heard back from them.
      I’ll post a pic below.

It’s not a great pic, but I love this thing.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember the excitement in this find Jethro .

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice...find.. Jethro

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet ! Yes I’d think most are not documented , just as a matter of fact.

Broken Arrow The article is actually here in the forum under Identifying fakes and reproductions. Go to page 2 identifying paleo Clovis. Very interesting post and I absolutely believe there are many that have not been publicly shared. There is no telling what farmers in these parts have stored away from years of plowing fields but all we can do is speculate unless they share their finds.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That is an awesome undeniable paleo Jethro! Thanks for sharing!
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I agree with you 100 percent . There is a call line I read in a book for Georgia for Dalton’s . I never called and Johnny you can chime in . It’s a map showing counties where they were found . Now I personally have held 4 of these and the people that found them would never think of calling or reporting . EVER
        Last edited by Tam; 04-13-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B04EF4D-6848-423C-9315-0DCFBFD3A2C9.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	361577
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Is that pointer finger a bone or ivory example😳??

very nice handful you have there....lots of “wow” right there...
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Good eye yoda

Those are awesome
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Yes Jethro that is a Clovis knife point that was worked out of an old deer bone. I have never seen another one like it with both sides carved. Definitely one of my favorite pieces besides the 4 1/2” Clovis that was found nearby on the same day
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I sometimes think that maybe fluted points aren’t as rare as people think, or certainly not as rare as the numbers reflected in surveys might suggest. I have three I purchased from friends and relatives of the finders that I am certain never made it into any survey. Back home in Georgia, there’s an arrowhead display at our local library with a Clovis smack in the center of the frame— again, probably not in a survey.

If only 5000 Clovis hunters ever lived, and each one made at least 10 - 20 points in a lifetime, that leaves quite a few points lying around somewhere, even if not enough to be considered common. And most of those points are probably in deserts and swamp bottoms and places where they’ll never be found.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	363767 Lol
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• redrocks
                    redrocks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's cool Tom. When did you find it

• tomclark
                    tomclark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This one was on the surface near the gulf coast in New Port Richey, FL many years ago and apparently had been in a fire. It's popped and crazed. Looks to be made of patinated baybottom chert. There is a mall on the spot now and behind the mall are confederate salt works which were dug out ponds that they let the saltwater evaporate from.

I was looking on the internet for true paleo Clovis points that are NOT perfect graded G10 modern examples. I believe that I found 3 but even one of those might be questionable. Well actually there were 100s of them represented as “AUTHENTIC” but were obvious moderns. Seems there would be a lot more real ones in that ratio. If you have one please share a pic. I am also curious if anyone here has ever found a carved bone with a paleo base? This one has been worked on both sides and is razor sharp on one edge plus a needle tip. It even has thinning grooves carved up the center that resembles a fluted Clovis. I have never run across any other bone piece of any kind so don’t know much about this interesting artifact.Any info on this would be appreciated.
                  SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Sharing this here, but I've already posted it in the main forum. eBay auction find from 5-7 years ago. Did not pay a lot of $$. I'll see if I can spot more clovis examples in my frames later today.

Comment

• JesseJames
                      JesseJames commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Someone just mentioned it might actually not be a clovis type
                  Working...
                  X