Looking for any information on a collection of arrow heads I inherited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for any information on a collection of arrow heads I inherited

I joined this site yesterday after inheriting a collection of arrow heads from my father. The arrow heads were found by my great grandmother, approximately one hundred years ago, while living in the panhandle of Texas. I do not know much about the collection and am looking for any information the experts on this site can provide. Included in the collection is a hand written note from my great grandmother which reads “ my grandparents moved to this county about 35 years after the Indians were cleaned out of Palo Duro Canyon. They cleared this land and farmed. Each time the sand would blow I would find Indian artifacts. I have a box full of arrows, scrapers, and points that I found.”

I live in California and have never been to Texas, where some of my distant relatives once lived. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Erik​​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8C45CC4B-4C5C-44F1-85CB-6C4969A7AF9C.jpeg
Views:	771
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	364502 Click image for larger version

Name:	4F30EF51-3820-4766-ACAE-59F737CBB4D8.jpeg
Views:	669
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	364503

Welcome to the site Erik! We have many members that are knowledgeable about artifacts from Texas. They will certainly be along to offer assistance. That is a nice collection you inherited, it has some very nice pieces in it. You should cherish that collection.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

I absolutely agree with Broken Arrow, you have absolutely wonderful collection of items.

A lot of the material is from the Antelope Creek people who lived in that part of Texas and Oklahoma from 1200ad up until the Spanish arrived. A couple of pieces are several thousand years older than that though.

Number 4 is an absolutely awesome Harahey knife.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the same thing. That harahey knife is stunning. That has to be a top tier example, I'd love to see individual pics of it.

I think you have #9 turned the wrong way. That one looks to be a small scraper.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut...those are awesome artufacts...looks like examples from woodland period to early archaic ..nice...i wish my grandma was an Artifact hunter...that's cool
        SW Connecticut

Comment

For #2 & 3, I'd consider these.. Grandma did good!

Marcos

Castroville

Marshall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Notched Projectile Points of Texas

Home
          http://www.projectilepoints.net/Sear...as_Search.html
          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

That a nice representation of artifacts from the Palo Duro canyon area. There is a lot of history from there, first settlers, ranching and farming. There were lots of Indian wars, and wars between the union army and the NA people. Back then, most of the Union soldiers were, “ Buffalo Soldiers “ as the NA people described them. Also, the Conquistadors went through the area. There have been some Spanish artifacts found there too. Now the Canyon is a park. It is beautiful ! When Coronado came through the area, the NA people called themselves , the “ Tejas “ which in how the State of Texas got its name ! Olden above has led you on the right track. JJ
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Thank you all for the information. I now have somewhere to start with my research. Here are a couple photographs of the knife.

Comment

Reverse

Comment

• clovisoid
                  clovisoid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome piece. My understanding is that these were basically filet knives that were used to slice bison meat into to thin slices for drying.

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are correct Sir ! Most Harhey knives that are found are usually wore completely out...

Can you post a picture of the other side of point 29? This picture makes it look like an upside down fluted point missing an ear. If it is a paleo point, it's far and away the oldest point in that group.
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking the same thing.

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fairly darn beat up if it is....

31 and 38 look like washita type and 36 looks like it may be a Harrell.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

#1 looks like a Covington knife
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure looks fluted to me.😮

Comment

I would not sell this collection due to the family history behind it, but does anyone have a ball park figure of what a collector may pay for this set?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                      Broken Arrow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As a rule, we don't discuss prices on the forum. Having said that, when it comes to monetary value, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You may be very underwhelmed by what that number may be.
                  Working...
                  X