Thought i would share a few pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought i would share a few pictures

I have been going through all my points trying to learn with my new scope as I go. I thought I would share a couple of pictures. I was curious if these were Quartz Deposits? This point Came from Licking county Ohio, Licking county River. It was one I was always curious about. Had it for a while... The pictures dont do it justice when looking at it under a scope.
    Last edited by c_venture; 05-09-2019, 08:32 PM.

That's definitely cool!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thats a nice point .. i believe the deposit is called druzy... Look that up ..as in druzy quartz
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I'm not up to speed on my lithics, but judging from where you found it and the looks of it, I'd say that is Flint Ridge Chert. If I'm not mistaken Chert itself is made up of different sizes of crystals. Some form larger depending on the various impurities as it forms. Others can tell you more, but I think the whole piece can be considered a type of quarts.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Some consider flint quartz depending on who you talk to. Flint is in the quartz family

• c_venture
          c_venture commented
          Editing a comment
          That would make sense Flint ridge is in licking county, I live abt 45 min away, but grew very close to there. My Dads family was from coshocton ohio, I have a lot of point from around that area also. He once told me they used to throw them at each other when they played in the creek. Lol different times i guess..

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Sometimes I wonder if I’m not picking up someone elses throw backs if they are dinged . I’ve heard stories on how the farmers use to have to bulldoze them off the fields way back when

It is an inclusion not a deposit. A deposit would come from a mineral and would be on the rock.What you have there is in the rock. It could be druzy quartz like Red says but my experiance is druzy quartz is very small crystal clusters. I had some years ago in an awesome piece of red jasper I found at an archaic site in CT. The red jasper it was in was like clarnilian glass. I moved several times in the past ten years and I probably still have it but it is with the rest of my hoard I will be unpacking for years LOL
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• c_venture
          c_venture commented
          Editing a comment
          If you ever run across it would love to see it!

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Hoss is correct, and you might also call that a very miniature geode. The blue, wavy lined material around the crystal is chalcedony, and the small quartz crystals formed inside this by altering the the silica into crystals through thermal activity, which would have taken place when the chert strata was formed.
          Last edited by pkfrey; 05-10-2019, 09:51 AM.

Very well stated flint guy. If you look up the differences between jasper and agate rocks it will give you some very interesting knowledge about quartz and chert.
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I’d call that point Lucy ! Lucy in the sky with.......
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

So cool see to microscope photography. Point is top notch too.
            California

Comment

Working...
            X