Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C.o.a. What do you think about insight laser or who is better on Georgia-Florida points??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.o.a. What do you think about insight laser or who is better on Georgia-Florida points??

I bought a few pieces I am unsure of

Let’s see the pieces
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Carlos Tatum was the guy for Florida material many years ago. Not sure if he is still authenticating.

Insight Laser? I would be confident that you’ll get a thorough response from them, likely with some graphs printed on decent quality paper.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I Think a microscope could tell you more than a laser could. And I bet some members could tell you even more with just a picture
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Beware of laser ! I had a horrible experience with one. They called personal finds that I had D. R. Look at " modern ". I took some personal finds to the Temple show last year and Dwain Rodgers looked at them and liked them. I then sent them to The laser authenticator and he sent me a cheesy report that called them modern. I learned an expensive lesson. Don't trust laser authenticators.
        Central TX

Comment

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Just out of curiosity, if DR liked the points you showed him, why did you find it necessary to send them to be tested with the laser system? If it was an expensive lesson, then I guess you paid to have them laser tested?

• KrisRock
          KrisRock commented
          Editing a comment
          I was looking for a fool proof test I could send artifacts that I may purchase to tell me if they were real or not. I took 10 pieces I knew provenance on, ( I found / Dug them up ) I sent them as a test to see if the laser would work or not. I got my answer. The cost was less per piece than a regular authentication so I took a chance. But I did not want them to get lucky on one or two and then I buy one and I don't get lucky, so I sent 10. He looked at them under a microscope, saw metal from my dig tools on them and called the lion share of my 10 personal finds modern. It was over a hundred bucks but I could have spent a thousand on a good artifact, sent it to him and he could have killed it, even if it were good. unsuspecting people who don't know, trust his word and throw away good artifacts. JMO just saying beware. It prolly works great for some folks, I wasn't one of them.

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Here's a note to people who get their artifacts killed because of a silvery metal looking residue around the edges. Try and erase the residue off. If it comes right off, it's residue from a pencil. Many collectors would catalog their finds and trace the outline of the point in their catalog. This left lead residue behind on the edges. I've seen good artifacts killed because of this. Perino traced an outline of the artifacts he issued COAs on, and I've seen some of his authenticated points killed because of this. The laser technique has proven to be fallible in many tests of reproductions being evaluated as ancient. A good microscope, and knowing what to look for, is all a collector needs.

Georgia or Florida, makes a difference...

Pics, please.

I am not sure, and I don't think, that Carlos (FL) is authenticating presently but you should check on that status.
        Jerry Dickey Boom. (FL and GA) I would trust...http://www.jerrydickey.net/Auth01.htm Site doesn't look updated, either....
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerry gets my vote for South Eastern artifacts. He is a good guy and easy to learn from.

• clovisoid
          clovisoid commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerry has always seemed like a very solid guy and judge of relics to me.

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
        Georgia or Florida, makes a difference...

Pics, please.

I am not sure, and I don't think, that Carlos (FL) is authenticating presently but you should check on that status.
        Jerry Dickey Boom. (FL and GA) I would trust...http://www.jerrydickey.net/Auth01.htm Site doesn't look updated, either....
        I’m pretty sure Jerry goes to some of the same shows I do. He seems like a pretty good guy but don’t try to get his opinions on any for free. He just smiles and walks away at least he did when I asked 😃
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Glenn he is a great guy. If he gave an opinion for free people would be walking up and asking all day long. It would kill his actuall paid business.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s okay I’ve learned how to tell on my own mostly from sites just like this one

I think authenticators should all do public work at shows for free. If an authenticator does a great job I.D.ing or killing a stone right in front of me that beats the crap out of a mailed certificate that you don't know who even looked at it. I know authenticators make their money being right. Be wrong a few times and get found out you won't be selling too many certs for too long. If they show off their talent and are seen and known for being the " go to guy " for info on artifacts in a particular area the people will mail the stuff to him. I would be weary of a authenticator that does not give opinions freely. JMO for what it's worth.
        Central TX

Comment

• clovisoid
          clovisoid commented
          Editing a comment
          I certainly understand that point of view. DR is kind of unique in that he is pretty open with his opinion if he knows you or if he has time on his hands.

I think the main issue is that there is no upside for an Authenticator to give free opinions, the same way a plumber isn't going to fix a pipe for you just so you can judge the quality of his skill.

And while there is no upside, there is absolutely some downside if they give out a free opinions.

The first one is common etiquette with other dealers at a show. If you are friends with people, do business with them, or see them at 6-10 shows a year you might not want to give a quick opinion of a relic they are selling (people in the artifact world have gotten sued for less.) You'll often hear dealers at the show ask questions about relics presented to them. Part of it is trying to figure out if the story is plausible while getting a few more minutes to handle the relics, and part of it is trying to figure out if the person just bought it from another dealer at the show.

The second one has to do with eBay and online sales. I remember several years ago there was a guy walking around the Owensboro show with a frame of relics, and people kind of quickly gave him a range of thumb up/thumb down type comments on several pieces because he asked. A lot of the positive comments and the names of the collectors who made them ended up in the eBay listings over the next couple of weeks for those points.

• KrisRock
          KrisRock commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure you read my post C.O. You say there is no upside to free opinion, but I just explained the upside to free opinion. How can you understand my point and not see the upside to free opinion ? If a plumber wants to fix my copper pipes with PVC, I'm getting another Plumber. It would be nice to know about the plumber. Dealers at shows are looking for good stones cheap. Many have unscrupulous ways of obtaining good stones cheap. I prefer to find them. If a good deal presents itself, it would be nice to have a quick cheap way to tell authenticity, that was my main point to add to this subject. I will continue to try and obtain opinion from experts or those with more knowledge than I currently possess. I would hope people will share what they know for the right reasons.

I’m sorry I’ve been trying to send pictures but I can’t get them to down load

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are using a phone the pics might be to large try taking one at a time and not a group shot. A close shot can work better than a distance pic
      Working...
      X