Odd red arrowhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd red arrowhead

Any info about this arrowhead would be great it was given to me by a customer supposedly fou d in south jersey

That’s cool anything for size reference? I have a couple like that but they’re small.
    “I’ve never let my schooling interfere with my education”

Comment

I'm not from your area, so keep that in mind but that stem looks a little unusual to me, could be a well used point that was re sharpend alot. There are a few guys on here from the NE that will know. It's a beautiful looking point, hope it turns out to be authentic. I'm going to watch this thread to see what more informed members think.
      Central Ohio

Comment

Well I'm in N'East, Illinois and that's a bit of distance from NJ. I looked at two ID sources and it looks to me anyway like it is a Frost Island point. Jasper was also a commonly utilized material for that point. New Jersey is right in the center of its distribution point also. I'm a long way from the east coast though and like Flintguy said we have some darn knowledgeable NE'asters here.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I've attached a photo of a NE Frost Island ( in a frame, not the best quality pic. ), but a Frost Island is one of the 5 major types of Transitional points from NJ and the NE. They tend to be not notched, but have a graceful concave stem area between the shoulders and the base. The base tends to be pointed at both ears with rounded shoulders, not prominent. This is an odd, non-typical form, and no doubt resharpened to this stubby appearance. It looks authentic from the photo, but doesn't look like jasper or heat treated jasper. Possibly a red cobble chert. I would guess it falls into the Early/Middle Woodland Hopewell types, but is to
          non-typical to be exact. How thick is it?
          non-Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09041.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	371458
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

When i get done work i will post it with a side view for thickness and also a coin to referance its size

Comment

Comment

Maybe those pictures will help thanks again for the help

Comment

I thought maybe Adena but I’m not close to that area
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                  X