• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz Points from auction in Michigan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E6441.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	372830 I recently acquired this frame of points at an auction not far from my home in Michigan. I think they are from one or more Eastern seaboard states. The center corner notch is 2 1/16th inches long (for scale). 8 or 9 of them are worn to varying degrees of smoothness... perhaps wave or current action. I think the material is milky quartz and either vein or crystal quartz. I know this is asking a lot, but can any members help on what states would be likely for these points? I was leaning towards North and South Carolina. Of particular interest to me is identifying the paleo looking point (middle row, 2nd point from the left side.

You done well acquiring that nice frame of quartz points, there is some really nice pieces in there.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Looked to me like quite a few archaic and maybe a late paleo in the group.

Nice assembly of points. Maybe someone from North Carolina will chime in and tell you something on them. Could also be Virginia
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Hi,

First that’s a super cool frame and a great pick up! Just looking at it I don’t think it’s a North Carolina frame. Many of those points could be found in NC but some of them just don’t look right. If it’s a NC frame it would have to be from the western mountain part of the state. Still some of them don’t look right and I’m thinking Tennessee, Kentucky but may be wrong and closer to your home may the answer?

Von

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I appreciate your help. I looked thru my reference books and on-line... so many eastern and southern states seemed to be possible.

Some of those in the top row aren’t any I would find so I think the southern areas are out. What about Illinois area? I live in north Georgia. I think someone just posted a frame with some of them nobby base points in them
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Member goes by Charles Jones on the site you can send him a pm and maybe he can shed some light on your frame of points. Make sure he replies on your post I’d like to find out where they are from to
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Unless somebody just decided they loved quartz, and the frame reflected their lithic preference as a collector, then it's very likely they came from a region where quartz was a dominant lithic. Certainly, my own region of southern New England is one such region, but many of the styles are wrong. Again, if it was put together by a collector who preferred quartz, it could be a mix of quartz points from more then one state. If all from one area, on the other hand, I would think somewhere in the Mid Atlantic....
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Bayport
            Bayport commented
            Editing a comment
            Thankyou... that's probably the reason I had difficulty trying to figure this out. The types looked like they "fit" with states from the northeast, all the way down to South Carolina or Georgia. The owner was a professor of cultural studies and had artifacts from several Mid-West states as well. I thought it was an interesting grouping, and the local antique dealers attending the auction did not bid on them. The other artifact collector there was only interested in Michigan material, so when the auctioneer kept lowering the bid (from choice to the entire group) all the way down to $15... I decided to bid, and won at that price. I have been having fun studying and attempting to ID them.

I'd have to check some reference's, but they look a lot further south, maybe south central Texas to Georgia /Ala. / Miss.Not really sure, but it would take a little while to look the types up. I think there's a couple chalcedony or novaculite points included, that look like quartz.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Bayport
            Bayport commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I hadn't thought of Miss. or Texas. I will add those to my research.

I'm in Virginia and would say the same as everyone else, some look right for my area, some don't. I like the idea of it being a compilation frame. 15 bucks! For that price they could have been made by the kid down the street and still be a bargain just as an art piece, so good for you!
          Central Virginia

Comment

• Bayport
            Bayport commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep... for the price, this has given me an interesting research/study project.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Can’t go wrong with that no matter where they are from how many are there I don’t feel like counting

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I see Ensors, Boggy Branch, Savannah River, Copena, Frazier, Kirks, so I think I would also agree, a grouping from the east central Atlantic region, down south to Ala./Ga. For $15, you sure got your money's worth out of just the fun of it all!!!

There are 47 in the frame, and 4 others that either didn’t fit or were clearly Ohio material.

Comment

pkfrey... thanks for your help 👍👍

Comment

Working...
            X