ID:	373615 Click image for larger version

Name:	1F655F1E-0B15-4C46-BCE3-6B8CAC7C1132.jpeg
Views:	657
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	373614 Click image for larger version

Name:	057B5B72-AA1D-4142-A441-DC65B8C24575.jpeg
Views:	492
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	373613 So I find lots of this black flint in the fields around here. My question is why is most of the pieces so crude and why so many preforms? Found these this week I’m thinking on trying another field even though I find so many worked pieces just not many nice ones. Click image for larger version

Name:	4C0921D4-0194-4C97-BD9E-B698FB5B0FD5.jpeg
Views:	465
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	373612
    NW Georgia,

I think these are finished 1st one is missing a end I think some times they are so rough it’s hard to be sure. I find so many cores it’s crazy but not many completely done.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

When pieces are like that is they could not find pieces big enough to make a big or nice point.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I find the cooked cobbles of flint in the fields they look big around 6x4 inches you would think they would be bigger pieces worked
        NW Georgia,

Comment

That's a tuff question Glen.. field may have been heavily hunted for long time. Luck has something to do with finds..
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Some of the cobbles are small the field ones I have found some nice pieces in the creek that runs along the property. This year I’m finding a lot of pottery which is different than the last time they turned it.

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Man it's been torrentially raining here all day. I gotta get back where I found that cool midsection. ...green chert. Hoping tommoro

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you do find the other half Red I will keep my fingers crossed. They keep saying rain here and I guess if you count sprinkles as rain it’s probably true. Just enough to wet the grass

Like Johnny wrote in one of his post . Maybe they had so much of it . If it didn’t go their way or was not perfect they just tossed it .
          one of his recent posts .
          SH so many of my hopefuls I have posted they say never finished and I am shocked they look good to me . Hope this makes sense . But you do have a lot of that and you have found some nice ones .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes should be some others popping if the rain hits that field. I was hoping yesterday it would pour I was so hot it was 94 in a red clay field. Rained all around but not on me. Even though they look rough they we’re used as is . One is uni faced I have a bunch of things in my water bucket maybe after cleaning them something will surprise me. Thanks Tam

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            The cotton is rain deprived only 3 inches tall and some looks wilted. When you step on the dirt it crunch’s like stepping on snow. You can actually see the steam coming off the field. I must be used to it cause I only drank one bottle of Gatorade in 4 hours

This was found in wilcox co ga

Comment

I find 3 or 4 pieces like those for every well worked point or tool and I always keep them.

They vary from rough point like shapes to simple triangles or wedges.

Some may be preforms, small cores, or debitage from large forms, but some portion might have been used, as is, in the form of expedient tools.

I think people were in the habit of using flakes and chips for all kinds of simple chores while reserving their proper tools for more specialized jobs.

Given the fact of small points and the value and scarcity of lithic material (even in areas with quarries) it's hard to understand why these pieces were just discarded.

Add to that the fact they are so many compared to sophisticated forms and I start to wonder, like you, what they represent?

Could it be a case of - why not use them as they are, if they suit the purpose?

Maybe some had long and useful lives .

California

Comment

• tomf
              tomf commented
              Editing a comment
              Obviously, mine are all obsidian.

The black flint here has quartz inclusions that runs through it in some pieces
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Here are a few I found on Sunday.

I class them as tools.

That's open to debate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9208.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	373870

California

Comment

Most of them are flake knifes I do find them as well
                NW Georgia,

Comment

I’m not sure about your area but true Flint was used in abundance until the mid 1860’s for flintlock weapons. Just throwing that thought out there. The flint you’re finding could possibly be from a number of different scenarios though. Makes ya wonder!
                  SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The actual NA flints look very different from the French flints I’ve found some that makes you wonder if they could be one. I also believe some could be striking flints for making fire with but how can you prove it. I keep them if they all if they look complete.
                Working...
                X