• Show
Clear All

• How Old are these NC Quartz Points?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB743833-9C22-486D-94B5-1C14839C3221.jpeg
Views:	1560
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	378433
    My friend said these were paleo but I’m thinking they aren’t that old. He has found a lot of nice white quartz Guilford types in his area and he has mistaken a couple of them for older points before. These both have deep iron deposits with thicker patina than his others. Possibly well used woodland period knives that were in a more iron rich part of the soil? Opinions?
    SE ARKANSAS

Hi Artifascination they look like common NC finds to me not so sure about first one but woodland could be correct. Could the second one be upside down in your hand and maybe blunted. Looks like it could be an upside down Morrow Mountain to me. We do have a paleo point that kinda resembles the first one a Haw River but I do not think that is one.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Well NC is a bit out of my realm but they look a lot like many I have seen from there. NC is another hotbed of artifacts. It seems like they are always used up pretty good also. Nice quartzies man. The only quartz around here is in a wristwatch or a countertop lol...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Cool points
        SW Connecticut

Comment

This is what I've observed with the ones here in Virginia: You know how quartz points tend strongly to be thicker and cruder than points made from "flint" type stone? With the paleo and much of the Early Archaic stuff I've seen in pure quartz, they tend strongly to be well made, well thinned and made from very high quality quartz, almost as good as "flint" points from the same time period. It's hard to describe. It's one of those things where you know it when you see it.
          Central Virginia

Comment

• Artifascination
            Artifascination commented
            Editing a comment
            The crude thickness of these made me think woodland period when I saw them. I’m not sure if they took more pride in the workmanship of points in the Paleo-Archaic times or maybe the stone back in those days had a different composition that made them easier to shape and flake (knap)? Some say the paleo people traveled so much that they made their points and tools thin to reduce the amount of weight they had to haul around. Whatever the case might be it definitely seems the woodland points are almost always thicker and more crude although like everything else there are exceptions to it.

Flint, chert, jasper , agate are all made up of micro crystaline quartz. I have found a lot of white quartz back in CT and it has various types of consistency . Some is very nice and makes points easily as nice as flint or chert points and some is just plain crude and does not knapp like flints
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi,

I agree with Sugaree. The first one could be an Alamance of Haw River? The other looks like a upside down Morrow Mountain with a broken tip.

Von
            Last edited by Von; 07-13-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X