Twisted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted

Found in a field in cumberland county nj. Was wondering how old and Why does is have a twist to it. Was it just the way the rock was or was this use for something special. It has an edge all the way around instead of just the end also
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	378810 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	378811 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	378812 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	378813 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	378814 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	378815
    Last edited by Hoss; 07-13-2019, 03:31 PM.

That’s a neat ax has a story to tell for sure. To me it looks like it broke and then was reworked to a Gouge very interesting piece
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I agree with Surface Hunter. It could have been a broken 3/4 grooved axe and repurposed into that adze style gouge grooved axe or It could have also been intentionally made that way to carve out a canoe or something. It has a nice heavy use polish on it for sure! That’s one awesome find!
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Chazzybear
        Chazzybear commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you

these marks look more like they were created with a wheel. Do you hunt with a buddy who likes practicle jokes? Click image for larger version

Name:	image_63061.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	378870 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_63063.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	378871
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Dont hunt with anybody. No wheel involved Possible scrapes from other rocks or farm equipment over the last 300 years the field has been getting plowed i suppose.

Comment

To me it looks like a 3/4 groove adze, with the groove at at strange angle for an adze, and I can see how SurfaceHunter thought it looked like an axe that broke and was repurposed, hence the odd positioning of the groove to the flat side of an adze. But I've been wrong many times.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Im thinking broken axe that was repurposed also. I guess into an adze. Just a lil weird looking to me. It is really worn smooth so i guess they used it alot for something

Comment

I enlarged the photos and I'm also seeing parallel striations on several surfaces. My opinion is it has been enhanced historically

Comment

Not possible being that i dug it up and brought it to my house . where no one else other then my son. 12 years old and my cat live no one else has seen it or touched it . If it wasnt for that fact. It would agree

Comment

It may look different in hand than in a photo.

Comment

Working...
                  X