Help Identifying This Curved Object?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying This Curved Object?

Hi! Wondering if anyone could help me out in identifying this curved object? This was a part of my aunt's small collection of arrowheads that my dad inherited. I do not know the providence of the items in her collection. She passed away in the 90's and my dad has dementia and can't remember much other than she found some of the items in the collection herself in the Western United States, and was given some as gifts. He has become fixated on this piece and wants to know more about it. I tried doing some research, but I can't find anything quite like it. Is it possible it is not a Native artifact at all, and got misidentified years ago? We've looked at it under a microscope and there don't seem to be any modern tool marks. I've included several pictures, including one of some of the other items in the collection along with it. Any help would be appreciated!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5641.JPG Views:	1 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	379065
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beckya; 07-14-2019, 02:05 PM.

It’s interesting, it could be natural. I’m leaning toward it being modified by human hands....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I’m not sure either looks like a field find? Any background of the area it was found in? And is it heavy or lite in weight?
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn’t look broken on the ends either. It’s to big to be a nose ring I can’t think of a use it would of been for maybe someone else will know

Thanks, everyone! It weighs a little over 1/4 of a pound. I'm not sure where it was found. My aunt found most of her items in California and Arizona, as well as nearby states when she traveled, but I'm not sure if this piece was something she found herself or was given to her. My father thought he'd heard it referred to as some kind of "skinner" but I believe he may be thinking about the tool below it in the group photo? It doesn't make sense to me that a smooth curved stone would be used for skinning. It definitely seems to be man made. Any ideas, wild guesses, or suggestions of where to go or ask would be welcomed! Like I said in the original post, my father has dementia and has become obsessed with this, so it would make my life a lot easier to find him some answers!

Comment

The ancient Egyptians had crescent bar amulets that represented the moon. They were usually inscribed with designs but their use had never been “proven” Some say it was a tool others say it was used for a tie on atlatl weight or just a decorative piece. My first thought was it could be used as a handle for something. I have never seen one like it and it appears to be shaped by man but my thought is just a speculation. Hopefully someone will know for sure. It’s a neat piece.
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

the only thing i can think it might be is a charm stone but it is such an odd shape as most all i have seen are plumb bob shaped.
          Wyoming

Comment

No idea what it is, but I guarantee that had "I" found it, it would be in my house too!

Comment

Now I'm wondering what it is. I did some looking around and came up empty handed. Unfortunately I can only offer guesses and things already suggested. Not much help, but for what its worth, I keep coming around to an unfinished banner stone. There were many styles of them, could have been a personalized one off version. Not sure how the hole would be drilled into it however. My other thought was a piece of a necklace tied on to the neck. Last thought, a curved enigmatic stone artifact. Hopefully you find a satisfying answer.
              Central Ohio

Comment

I saw an object shaped just like this displayed as part of an inherited collection. The inquiry and pictures were posted on another site by the heir who didn’t know anything about the legacy, except grandmother had collected from Arizona and surrounding states. The specific subject was not about that particular object, but about general origins, and I don’t recall the discussion addressing anything about it. Sorry my memory not sharp, but at least you know another piece like yours exists, and a collector long ago valued it!
                Last edited by Cecilia; 07-28-2019, 03:28 PM.
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

This is from a 1917 book called Stone Ornaments of The American Indian by Warren Moorhead. There is a whole chapter on “Lunate and Pick- Shaped Stones”. Click image for larger version

Name:	85BAF164-79B6-49A0-B95B-B184F7314437.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	393131
                  Attached Files
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                  X