Don't be like Tom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be like Tom

I have thousands of personally found artifacts. I've been hunting and collecting for over 40 years, mostly quite local to Tampa Bay.
    Of these thousands I know where all of my shell artifacts came from and I have certain cases and boxes for specific sites but..... still only about 25% of my collections have the provenance recorded. Oh I know, my bad. Very bad.
    I know that ALL of my PF stuff is from FL but I have collected from Tampa Bay up to Gainesville from the center of the state to the gulf beach. About 15 counties....
    As I go through some pieces I do Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170401_111641.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	379830 Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170523_183840.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	379831 recollect where it was found and I will be recording that. A little late but better late than never.
    Don't be like Tom. Record your finds at least the county and state
    Attached Files
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Good advice! I used to remember each piece w/o the help of notes but the collection grows and the mind slips. I have been recording finds but I do not mark the artifact so my method is far from perfect. That shovel looks too much like work to me. Think I'll stick with gleaning the surface.
    fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Haha! Not the best at it either but keep all of my finds by site. Brokes in a baggy or box and nicer pieces framed.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I have a large percentage of my collection in site frames I know where I found them . But I need to label for my family before my mind slips any farther . My files show date found along with photos I have some info on CD and zip files .

Comment

I started an digital cataloging system for my points, relics and bottles so I remember the details. It gets important as you grow older.

Good night Tom, is that you down in that hole? You look like you came from my state, lol!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Tom .how you? I started hunting points in 2001. Every 1 have found i take it and trace it with a pen...and write where i found it and the date...broken ones... Net sinkers...tools and everything.....you have made a good point.(.no pun intended )
            SW Connecticut

Comment

All mine come from the same county and state
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Sooooo, now I know where Santa hangs out !
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• c_venture
                  c_venture commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol

I have thousands of interesting, beautiful, strange rocks I’ve collected over my lifetime, hundreds of which may be artifacts. The collection grows, and whenever I get extraordinarily excited over an extraordinary find, I show it to non-collecting friends. One got on to me last week :“what if something happened to you? you just have them all over house, carport, gazebo, decks, and nobody knows anything about them but you!” I’d really never thought about it til now. Gosh, I’d need a secretary & 5 knowledgeable assistants to begin sorting & labeling! My daughter has shown interest in them over the years, and I suppose I should do what needed to be done all along. Thank you Tom!
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I’ve tried to do this. Someone here gave me the idea, I can’t remember who(I should really thank them) and I’ve only don’t it for points, but it works. At least, until I put them in frames.😮

i bought these at academy sports, they cost about $3 each. They are found in the fishing section and come in various sizes.
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Sorry to say I’m like Tom when I was a kid everything was walking distance from home as I got older it was from the same county and now it’s from all South Georgia the really good ones I can take you to with in a few feet of where it was found. But now I cannot hardly tell you where I found one last week!!!

Comment

• tomclark
                      tomclark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      YEP!! lol. At this point it is actually overwhelming!
                  Working...
                  X