Just wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering...

So I found this and I’m curious to know if it is a great find or just another common...

Its geologic process/rock but that triangular shape does always catch the eye. The hook on the end is interesting but I believe it to be a rock.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Jason we find rhyolite points that our acidic soil has deteriorated to just a shape, the outer surface with flaking scars have flaked off. It has the Morrow Mountain shape but you would have to if you have stone points in your area that this process happens to.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wonder no more it’s a rock
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Well shucks... I have seen similar on eBay and that notch is part of it being a tool or so I read... but alas I think I’ll listen to y’all on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Jinks View Post
            Well shucks... I have seen similar on eBay and that notch is part of it being a tool or so I read... but alas I think I’ll listen to y’all on this one...
            It is common these days to find geofact, or just plain rocks, being sold as artifacts on EBay. Some are really just absurd. Whether the seller lacks knowledge, or is a crook, cannot always be known.

But, what is certain, is that recognizing true artifacts involves a learning curve. You will need to recognize flaking done by humans, the type of rocks, aka lithics, used in your area, etc. Eventually, things will begin to click. It takes some longer then others. Any museums in your area with artifacts on display from your region would be good places to visit.

Rhode Island

Comment

• chase
              chase commented
              Editing a comment
              Charlie is right. One you start finding the right lithic for artifacts the next is shape and flaking on stone artifacts. a good place to start with learning is in bentonville just south of you. Matt Rowe the curator of the Museum of Native American History. would be worth your drive to go see and maybe get a chance to talk to Mr.Rowe. But if not the artifacts are worth the drive. Here is a link to their internet site.
          Working...
          X