Why isn’t this an Artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn’t this an Artifact?

I am new, and have been learning by reading, reading, reading, as of late, your posts. I found topic “Geofacts & Fossils Commonly Mistsken for Artifacts” (under Information forum’s “Pseudo-Artifacts & Geofacts”) and a post by painshill on 6/28/14, edited last 1/28/16, containing 16 examples. The fourth photo (second from top in right column) of a whiteish bird(?) looks carved/knapped/shaped, which is what I look for in deciding if natural beautiful rock, or beautiful rock changed by man. Doesn’t it have the look of carving? .....I’m a little lost....
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Well it could possibly be debatage. A waste flake from the knapping process but it's not an effigy. The shape is coincidental not intentional. I got a percussion flake one time that looks like a mourning dove.

Here is the link to the post Cecilia mentioned:

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-20-2019, 06:03 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Cecilia your breaking my heart...lol just quoting a great old song. There are no images that I can see on my end...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Frank, I included a link to the thread in my post above.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        “Loves me like a rock....” Paul Simon knew what real love is!

This is just a percussion flake.
      The shape surprised me so I kept the flake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dove.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	380393
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that is strange!

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        You could probably sell that on eBay as an ancient Celtic effigy of Loch Ness Monster....😇

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice birdstone Ron

Like Ron said, when I'm flintknapping, I get some bizarre flakes. Sometimes I see rocks that look special, but are really just rocks. I think of it this way: Why would a native American make a crude image that you really have to stare at in order to get it, when he can actually take the time to make something beautiful, and recognizable. They didn't waste their time making exceptionally crude pieces, when the work to make great examples would be worth it.

I'd be aware of supposed "rock art" on eBay, and other websites. I'd say 99% of it is just normal rocks being sold as artifacts by dishonest people looking for a few bucks.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m an admirer, even a devotee, of ancient rock creations, but I don’t knap, flake, chip (not as rocks go, anyway!). And, I know to really “know”, I should. If I imagine learning now, or imagine a Paleo child learning, or imagine being a Paleo adult who’s not artistic but slightly bored w/looking at stars, the creations rendered would not be masterful. I, the child, and the non-artisan adult would be proud of this beautiful bird-flake!

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no wrong in thinking that, but could we be absolutely certain, that is what happened? No, sadly not. But there are signs of human workmanship in every piece. Flaking, pecking, grinding, etc. You would know it when you see it.

These are just a few examples of the supposed "rock art" out their. Nope. Just rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	764f3aaf50d0536eaf7587f4db70c6b6--paleolithic-art-rock-art.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	380399 Click image for larger version

Name:	bf2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	380400 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	380401
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

If I may, when you see an actual effigy, it will be unmistakeable. It won’t be a “if you hold it just like this and squint just a bit in poor lighting...”

this is is an example that is unmistakeable.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          My o my o my!

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is an example of an maybe artifact/effigy found only a few feet from the head.
          My brother also found it, and it was on a very large Mississippian site, so I’m certain it was at least handled by a native, and likely modified. I call it the Snoopy Effigy. It looks like snoopy to me, but I know they didn’t make snoopy effigies, because Charles Schultz wasn’t around yet....

Pics below...

Wow! Did you find that? No mistaking that.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          My brother did.

The only actual effigy I have is a clay seed jar. It’s a breast effigy, and apparently they were used to keep seeds in during the winter to keep them “fertile”. It’s kinda cool, but definitely not stone.

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a few that I think are birds. A few of my friends think they also look like birds but I can't make myself post them, lol. I might be seeing things😉

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          You should post them. I have lots of rocks that look like things, but aren’t artifacts, or at least aren’t intentional effigies.

😊
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Cecelia, my avatar is an effigy! And, it can be seen as more then one thing. A turtle, a frog, a fertility figurine! You can read about it here:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...le-frog-effigy

Click image for larger version  Name:	C90564F2-79F0-44F3-8705-46C10AFED424-19036-000008526C8C0B48.png Views:	1 Size:	884.2 KB ID:	380648

Click image for larger version  Name:	D93EE678-5A29-448B-9F32-702A6EBBEE5B-19036-000008523CEC4FE2.png Views:	1 Size:	745.9 KB ID:	380649

Click image for larger version  Name:	5CC51EAA-A6AB-49C6-84FB-D24100A83699-19036-00000852A10A8515.png Views:	1 Size:	792.4 KB ID:	380650

Rhode Island

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m no expert by any means, but I’d guess he was right-on with his assessment. 🕺🕺

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Geez, I want an artifact like Fertile the Turtle!

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            When does Ed say Fertile was born?

Geofact Thumb
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have guess prosthetic thumb or big toe, for someone who had an amputation.😮

Sure would help when they were stumbling around the tepee late at night and bumping the toe on the night stand.😁
        Working...
        X