To Remove or Not to Remove...Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Remove or Not to Remove...Pics

Have been collecting as a family for almost 100 years and have never had an artifact that wasnt found on our farms...until now. Had an old timer neighbour pass away and his son told me about an axe head that he had found in the thirties. He knew that I collected and he and his family had no interest in it. He then went on to tell me that at some point, one of the grand sons made a a handle from a tree that was taken down on the property and had halfted the axe . I was curious to see the axehead, but had no interst in the fact that is was modern hafted...but I sure wasnt turning down the gift. The axe was beautiful with amazing patina on it ( I know everyone wants to see it...give me a bit as I just joined tonight and only aquired this with in the last 2 weeks). I immediately thought to myself...I gotta get that handle off of it and hold that in my hand. My wife told me to give it a day or two...as I was ready that night to set it free. Its been 2 weeks now and Im not sure what to do now. It seems like an adhesive was used in the full groove...although sparingly...I think, to attch the rawhyde type wrap to the shaft. Surprisingly the kid did a nice job on the handle and added the token feathers to give it a native look...that apparently everyone likes accept those who find and collect the real McCoy. My wife thinks that maybe I should leave it as is, however would not fault me for removing it either. Im not sure if the adhesive will damage to rock in time...that what is really chewing at me to take it off of that handle, Strange how it has grown on me over the past few weeks....but I still kinda want to rip it off of there. Any thoughts...
    Red Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190827_132251583.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	387905 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized 1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	387906 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized3.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	387907 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	387908 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	387909 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized5.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	387910

I do see your dilemma, however I would remove it.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Although the hafting is nicely done....i would remove it to expose the groove and show the pecking that was laboriously done..Red
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• WindWalker
        WindWalker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir...probably heading tht route

• WindWalker
        WindWalker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir...probably heading that route

That’s a hard one for me. I would probably remove it, then display it as if the stamps had just fallen off ....😮
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• WindWalker
        WindWalker commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea...was thinking the same thing

I must tell you that I’m new to this forum, and to collecting “real” artifacts. But, I joined because have life-long interest in ancient things. I’ve been to many archeological sites, and my daughter swears I gave birth to her so I’d have a companion to “drag thru jungles in third-world countries.” Our house looks like a cross between a natural history museum and an combined exhibition of Mayan, Aztecan, Grecian, Roman, and Asian cultural reproductions. Additionally, to finance our trips and “stuff”, I spent many years as a professional advocate and mediator, so perhaps the two major parts of my not-short life can lend at least a little bit of relevance to my humble opinion on your dilemma.

First, let me say how much I empathize with your “need” to hold that bare axe head in your bare hands. I have touched, even hugged, genuine artifacts that are now roped-off from present-day visitors; I consider myself not lucky, but blessed, to have been able to do so. I have been kicked out (temporarily, just for the day) of the NYC Metropolitan Museum for touching a statue of Anubis (I just could not help myself, and it was worth the small price!). It’s almost like your hands, or your psyche, minimally, ache or itch, isn’t it?

Though I appreciate our shared “obsession”, I’ve learned temperance the hard way. A few years ago, I held up a whole bus-load of extremely irate fellow travelers when I forgot the “real” time because I was busy pressing my face up against very ancient marketplace walls imagining “past” times. I think I caused some of them to miss their next-leg connections. I didn’t feel one iota of embarrassment when booted outta museum, but felt bad I’d forgotten about those folks. You’re ahead of me already because you’re concerned about paying due homage to the previous caretakers/“guardians” of your axe. And, you should...

This is what I would do: first and foremost, figure out how to detach that precious prize without injury from its modern-day confinement. This I’m sure you can do, with sufficient research and patience, and in such a way those present trappings are preserved during “extraction”. If done with the goal in mind of being able to rest axe back in this homemade cradle and to loosely secure it with same tie/bindings, you should be able to have your cake & eat it, too. I don’t think your neighbor expects you to use the axe to chop wood, or even as a prop in a ceremonial dance, so its ability to window-dress should be sufficient. I bet he would even understand what you’ve done!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Cecilia, yup I have touched a lot relics that I probably shouldn’t have at museums. (Stone, not something fragile that could be damaged by a light touch.)

In Latin America & Egypt I’ve actually had guards or museum staff open cases so I could get better pictures of things and occasionally hold something because most of the people who trudge on by don’t really appreciate what they are looking at.
        Last edited by clovisoid; 08-27-2019, 07:11 PM.

Does the axe wiggle in the handle or is solid with no movement? My guess is you can likely get it out of the haft without damaging the axe or hafting.

How flexible is the leather? If it’s hard, you might be able to soak it in water to soften it and just unwrap it. If it’s got some flexibility, just go slow, find an end and undo the wrapping. (A bit like untying knot.) A rubber mallet or some other soft hammer would be able to dislodge the axe from the handle if it’s glued in without damaging the axe.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• WindWalker
        WindWalker commented
        Editing a comment
        No wiggle to the axe at all...she;s tight boys. Yes if Ido choose to dismantle. I would soak it overnight as you said and then unwrap , My concern is the adhesive that appears to be between the stone and wooden haft...and possibly under the raw hyde ties , I would imagine that I got get this off with no damage as I am patient with things that I care about. But, still...I dont know exactly how industrial like the adhesive is....that;s what chewing at me.
        Cheers Red

Ahh, dilemma solved. Solvent needed now. Properly gentle..... Research project!

My godson internet genius for Apple sent me ”Sugru” as soon as inventor started producing in Ireland; said “can hardly wait to see what you do w/this” (it’s a malleable silicon). Will inquire of him, as well as all my “bubbas”, misc. fix-it guy friends who know how to construct and destruct almost anything.
      Last edited by Cecilia; 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

You could probably use some clear nail polish remover (acetone) to remove the glue, without hurting the patina.

Comment

I would remove the handle. Much of the "value", both in understanding the artifact and the aesthetics is being able to see and feel the groove. A possible compromise would be to buy a replica stone axe head and mount that in the handle.

The binding does look like rawhide. Rawhide is used by soaking it in water for a few hours which makes it pliable and stretchy, then lash and as it dries it shrinks and hardens to make a very tight, strong, non-flexing binding. If you decide to remove it, submerge the piece in a bucket of water just deep enough to cover all the binding, wait a few hours, and I think you will find it comes off easily. Hopefully any glue used is also water soluble. The rawhide could then be hung up to dry and reused later if you want to.
          Central Virginia

Comment

The handle was nicely done with alot of care and attention to detail. As a family piece I would leave it, but since it is not your family I would take that sucker off!!!

Comment

• WindWalker
              WindWalker commented
              Editing a comment
              ha ha ...pobably will...good perspective...thanks
          Working...
          X