Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you share any pictures of your Daltons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s a recent find Northeast Ollahoma.

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      Knife or drill?

• Okie1
      Okie1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Broke.

One I used to own it was from Missouri made of Mozarkite. I am prettynsure it was Saline county.Click image for larger version  Name:	dalt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	390611
    Last edited by Hoss; 09-09-2019, 07:59 AM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• c_venture
      c_venture commented
      Editing a comment
      Thing of Beauty

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish i kept it.

I’ve enjoyed this thread even more than usual. Daltons are my favorite type.
    I’ve been holding out on you all, just waiting to see more. After reading today, I took these out of my safe and took some pics.
    these three are personal finds*, all made by the same master craftsman.
    how do I know that for sure? Well, if you look at the knapping technique, and use a magnifying glass to evaluate the angles at which he struck the piece just perfect every time, you can see this guy was a true master of his craft.

*also, he told me he made them. I personally found them in my mailbox. Made by MasterCraftsman, Ron Kelly.

i will one day find a Dalton of my own, I’m branching out into new hunting areas where I have a better chance of finding one. I spend so much time inside those alluvial meanders of the Big river that it’s highly unlikely to ever happen there, so I’ve started to look into this crazy creek thing people do. We shall see.
    for now, I pull these out and turn them in my hand, amazed by the hand that made them and humbled by his charity.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree 100%. I’ve never found a dalton, though my brother has. He doesn’t understand how rare and cool it is, to him it’s an arrowhead.

I wish I had some authentic ones to share😔

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jason, I just now saw this. Thanks for the kind words and you are a character.

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      😁😇

I’ve enjoyed seeing them all together, thanks for starting the post. I will share mine again, it was actually beginners luck and one that has got me addicted. I wish I knew what I know now when I found it because I would have cherished that moment for a lot longer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9774E37A-7D7E-44F1-AC1F-3A6D7C83BE17.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	390727 Click image for larger version

Name:	B34D9AAE-0769-43EC-8AEB-9D72115102BA.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	390728

Name:	D459C372-B456-4F2E-8557-F2B8DD22BE31.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	390726

Attached Files

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      That thing is magnificent...😮

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Definitely one of my top three finds so far!

• c_venture
      c_venture commented
      Editing a comment
      Cant stop looking at it! It would have to take center frame or heck even give it its own frame! Guys correct me if I am wrong but is that what you would consider true Paleo type Flaking?

An old friend of mine gave me this piece along with the rest of his collection several years ago. We went through boot camp together back in 65 and have stayed in touch off and on over the years. He said he offered all his finds to his kids, but they told him they didn't want the stuff so he was going to send me everything that he had collected over the years which he did. All Oklahoma finds. This Dalton is made of Boone Chert and was found in Cherokee Co. Oklahoma. Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-9-12.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	391481
    Nebraska

Comment

• c_venture
      c_venture commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, It is hard for me to understand who wouldn't appreciate a beautiful work of art like that. My son would sell my stuff in a hear beat, My daughter would hang it in every room of her house. Guess who I am leaving my stuff to. LOL Thank you for posting, Very nice!

That point is a beauty
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Name:	7ADFEAE1-0961-4FB3-BF99-253EAB5B2A28.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	394447
      One of my favorite Daltons in drill form. Ill post others soon!

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, that thing is beautiful.👍👍

• c_venture
        c_venture commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice, please post what ever else you have, also location and Material if you have it, I am working on a mini Data base.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was commenting about this, actually posted below.🙃

• c_venture
        c_venture commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for posting, Wow very nice! you can see the craftsmanship!

What does it say on the one on the far right? Can’t make out the writing...

I bet I know within a mile or two where that Aerosmith blade came from...that’s a monster.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

The pencilled printing on the far right Dalton says: LL Pickett
        Advance
        Bollinger Co., MO

It has been published several times and is known as the Pickett spear. It was in Roy Hathcocks collection for many years.

Comment

Name:	D473E178-8B52-4BD6-A604-D456D231ACC0.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	400656 2 I am owning for now and as far as where they are from I know it’s not Georgia. Not personal finds
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Heres one I forgot to post. If you want a single better close up just yell. Adams Co. IL Burlington chert. Personal find 78 or 79. 3-5/8"
            SE IA

Comment

• c_venture
              c_venture commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey if you dont mind I would appreciate a close up, I am putting together a data base of Daltons! Thank you for the picture!

Name:	44CE759C-60F3-422A-B2FF-C7B3F15F36C4.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	401069 I was told this one is Colbert Dalton I found this year. If you guys don’t think it is say so and I will take it down.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• c_venture
              c_venture commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, I really like it, do you happen to know the material?

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I think Knox chert but creek stain most are black in my area N GA

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	401104 Here you are. This is from my data base. I can get a close up in the frame if you like. I just didn't want to un tie it off the frame.

Tried 2 times and think I got it large enogh. If not yell.
            Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-02-2019, 10:43 PM.
            SE IA

Comment

• c_venture
              c_venture commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect Thank you, I appreciate it.

Old rocks what’s the story on that find wow . What were you thinking .. doing

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Was a spring hunt with a friend. He went up stream I went down. Been yrs back but do remember finding nothing so headed back up to our starting spot. Took him awhile to come and I was looking at the rock side of the bend waiting. Well it's obvious what happened, that looks like an inch or two of a point. Pulled it out and yup it was the point. Don't remember yelling but he yelled back from up stream "what or something. Do remember he said I'm going down stream from now on. Funny thing is I walked by it twice and if I wasn't pokeing around waiting I would never of seen it. Hard to forget a find like that. This was the find of the year for me. Have hunted that stream many times since and no more daltons. If that point was sticking base up clovis would of flashed threw my mind till pulling it out. Nice thinning flute on one side. It don't show well in photo but the white looking flake scars are really water worn smooth NOTE to c_venture. The flash really washed out the true color, flash bulb era. If you like I can take it off the frame and get an outdoor photo. This is a picture of the origional picture so pretty bad. Just yell.
              Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-05-2019, 02:15 PM.

• c_venture
              c_venture commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey if you have the time, no hurry my database is a work in progress I plan on sharing. That Dalton is a real great example, it deserves a Spotlight!
          Working...
          X