Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New collector, is what I bought authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New collector, is what I bought authentic?

Hey yall, new here so i hope this the okay place to ask this question! Im new into arrowheads, I have experience with fossils and military memorabilia so im all to aware of fakes in any antique like hobby. So heres the background of the situation. I attended the holiday arrowhead show a few weekends ago and for the first time i bought a few arrowheads! While looking through this gentlemans booth i overheard some people come up and ask how he was doing since his surgery, so i guess he is pretty well known. He had a pile of arrowheads i asked how much they were and before he gave a price he asked a few questions like if i was born and raised in the area, how much experience i had with arrowheads, etc. He gave me a price that was suspiciously good but after someone else came by and was talking to him in some scientific lingo i wasnt familiar with and started buying stuff i just figured he was giving me a good deal cause im new to this or he just wanted em gone. He said they were all real but I would like a few second opinions.

long story short do yall think these are legit or recreations? The one i will post photos of first is supposed to be a big sandy1 found in chickasaw TN. Any advice or links to help identify modern styles of cuts would be greatly appreciated! And thank you in advance! This is my first time posting so if it will let me ill post some more photos of others I bought from em.

This other one is supposed to be a pickwick. I know photos can only tell so much, if theres any questions I can answer please ask!

Comment

No obvious red flags to me, I like big Sandy's because they usually have a ground base that is smooth to the touch so it wouldn't cut the haft ( binding) plus they are old...the stemmed point is a nice example as well. Depending on the price I would have probably bought them... Not for an investment, but because I'm a full on artifact hoarder!!
      North Carolina

Comment

I like them both. No red flags here either. Yes both appear to be typed correctly too. Big Sandy and a Pick Wick.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I really appreciate the second opinions! Heres a few more I got from the same deal. The big one is marked as a sedalia and the smaller one is marked as a mckean.

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            looks to have basal damage on that Sedalia I am not seeing red flags on these they look like good old points based on these photos.

Not seeing any red flags on those purchases either. The best safeguard for purchasing artifacts is knowledge and research. That can be a tall task when your purchasing habits aren't concentrated on a specific region and especially for a beginner. My advice to you if you're thinking of purchasing more artifacts in the future is to commit to learning a specific region of interest and try to view as many solid authentic examples to get a good understanding of what legit looks like. As you research your area of interest learn the lithic materials that were used in that region as well as types found. Seek out reputable resources as a baseline for your research, for example don't think that a nice Dovetail being sold is legit because it looks like something someone posted as authentic on Pinterest... Be wary of absolute perfection coupled with a price that's to good to be true. And always try to buy an artifact based on that acquired knowledge as opposed to a sellers story or a desire to acquire a perfect specimen. When buying online always make sure there is a reasonable return period (usually 14 days minimum).
          There are a lot of good threads and discussion available for free on this site as well as other free resources online to use as refference. It's a process that can't be rushed, and even the most knowledgeable people can make mistakes if all the bases aren't covered before pulling the trigger.
          Remember that dishonest dealers or sellers rely on a lack of knowledge to push fraudulent artifacts, so a solid understanding of what authentic looks like is your best defense. Good luck!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

They look authentic to me. Big Sandy and Pickwick and both good examples of the types.

Comment

Working...
            X