Ax Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ax Head

The single largest artifact in My Uncle's Collection (late 1920's to early 1930's, northeastern Illinois) is this ax head. Slightly longer than 6" and weights 1# 13oz. Other ax head images that I have seen on the internet have a groove on one or both faces and this one only has the side grooves. Is this unusual? Is the method of attaching a handle by splitting the handle to either side and binding criss-cross around and over the handle and side grooves? In the details (I commented to my own post to include the 2nd photo) you can see the work that was done to form the blade end. The chipped end certainly isn't a recent break, but I was wondering if it was period, i.e., broken in use, or broken over many, many years of in-situ abuse until it was found. Age: Paleo, Archaic or early Woodland period? Thank you all for any comments.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Axehead Faces.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	389114
    Last edited by Timberrock Ranch; 09-02-2019, 08:05 AM.

Here are the detail photos.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Axehead Details.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	389117

Comment

Bannerstone!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Timberrock Ranch
        Timberrock Ranch commented
        Editing a comment
        just learning about banner stones....and here I thought you were just saying it was a great stone! LOL

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
      Bannerstone!
      I was just about to say that! It looks like an unfinished bannerstone! Way better than an axe. (Although axes are sill cool.)
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I was told by an expert on this site....I think it was....that my artifact is a "notched, fully grooved axe." Previous owner said it was found in Ohio/Indiana.
        Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

So, from some reading up on bannerstones, you are thinking that the two side notches would,if finished, been a hole clean through the stone then?

Comment

I am asking because I truly know very little about bannerstones: The piece is described as almost 2 pounds. I've messed a round some using an atlatl, and can't imagine swinging it right with that kind of weight on it. Did they really make them that big?
            Central Virginia

Comment

• Timberrock Ranch
              Timberrock Ranch commented
              Editing a comment
              Keith...thanks to tomclark and Kentucky point, just learning today about bannerstrones...although no direct experience with atlatls, I have the same question as yours.

No expert here on axes, bannerstones or anything really, but looks unwieldy for a bannerstone imo, even in unfinished form. The wear on the bit almost looks like some adzes, spades or hoes. So my guess is notched hoe if there is such a thing in Illinois, that isn't highly developed. Just my guess. Calling Midwest hardstone experts lol!
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 09-02-2019, 09:02 AM.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah after more looking I can't find any notched hoe that's isn't chipped out as opposed to pecked. I do see what looks like a faint groove around it and coupled with what looks like wear on the bit, so I'm still not convinced on bannerstone preform but I've been wrong before...

In my opinion, that is an axe, with a damaged bit. I can show you such examples from New England. Sometimes there are only notches on the side, with no grooves present on the faces. I'll post a photo in a bit. Just my opinion, of course....
            Rhode Island

Comment

Might be a weapon they carried around.
              South Dakota

Comment

Note the description for full groove axes in the artifact guide of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society. It includes side notched axes. I can be mistaken, of course, but assumed the damage in the left side of the artifact is a broken bit...

Name:	AE72008A-FCA2-4A49-9453-0623D01F4F4E-1012-000000B6A8F07F56.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	389257

Name:	BA07CA84-CAAE-43B8-AA73-0EDCDB3AE3F1-1012-000000B74EB32BE9.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	389258
                And here is an example from Rhode Island, and from my personal collection...

Name:	CA15786D-2EA7-4B64-8E4E-E006C2D141F3-1012-000000B679CBA695.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	389259

Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you all for your interest and taking time to comment and add photos and references. As a newbie, I really appreciate that. Since the grooving, or lack thereof on the face has generated interest, here is a closeup side-view. You can see the side groove. There appears to be tapering, from the "bulge" left to right in the photo, but this inexperienced eye doesn't see any evidence of face grooves in the area of the side groove. Looking forward to more comments.

Name:	Dscn0005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	389263

Comment

Probably a club head like Gary suggested. A type of weapon Or finishing club for game kills that would be my guess
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                    X