Flaking style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaking style

This find struck me as unusual because of the broad diagonal flaking. In South Jersey I don't recall having seen this, although I have not been to the two local museums in a couple years and there might be an example.

I guess my question is, does it indicate a specific style, period, typology etc?

Thanks
    New Jersey

What does the other side look like? It appears to be a chunk off of a preform, maybe from a cobble, and those are simply elongated thinning flakes. No way to tell where it belongs in time, unless it's been found on a site with similar or finished points/tools, etc.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• kayakaddict
      kayakaddict commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I will post the other side, and some same site finds if it might help bring some thing to light. (Later I will have time) thanks pk

I know I make flakes similar to that when I knap, because I'm right handed and I hold the rock funny. I'm not to sure about this one.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Me Too! Sometimes. These flakes really overlapped the center. Good napper whoever he was. I'm starting to think this point was never finished also.
      New Jersey

Comment

Maybe it has a broken base. Here's the other side.
        New Jersey

Comment

I’m thinking it belongs in the blade category kind of in between. Very interesting find I have never seen one like it before. It would look pretty cool in a frame with a preform then that one and then a finished point showing the stages
          NW Georgia,

Comment

The point looks to me like it was never finished to a final form. Whether the base was broken during the knapping process or not, we will never know. Still a nice blade.

Comment

Working...
            X