Logging artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging artifacts

Ok so this may be a weird question for this forum. I have been thinking about creating sort of a logbook for my artifacts, recording dates, types, locations, pictures, etc. Does anyone else do something similar? And if so, how do you go about it. Any tips would be great! Also on a side note, does anyone on this forum search for points near Russellville Arkansas?

Not wierd at all many people catalog thier thier finds. Take a photo and keep the data with the photo is the easiest way. Also keep this info stored with your collection.
    Last edited by Hoss; 09-10-2019, 06:51 AM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

This is been discussed several times on the forum, I take a photo of my find and number artifact with a sharpie and on word I record area where found, length, width, and thickness. some other information like what found with and how found if I think I need it and print it off and store page in notebook. others store there information on computer.
      Last edited by willjo; 09-10-2019, 07:31 AM.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I don’t record dates, although I record the locations I find them.
        South Dakota

Comment

This is how i recorded my finds...and still do. Before cell phhones with cameras...just took a pencil and traced em ..Red in connecticutClick image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190910_130639_1~3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	391070
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Not weird at all! I created a spreadsheet listing number, date found, type, location, & any distinguishing features. Rather than write on them directly, I paint a square with clear fingernail polish & then write on the square with a micro marker. I’ve also used stick on vinyl numbers used in the electronics industry to mark components. I mark the least attractive side.
            Child of the tides

Comment

You see so many of these on this site that have been inherited with no knowledge of where they were from . This way not only for you but whoever may acquire these it will all be documented . Be creative but best bet on the artifact itself . I use a small black pen over whiteout
              Last edited by Tam; 09-10-2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

I use Excel.
                  South Carolina

Comment

At the very least put county and date. At most , gps shot and date...
                    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I put in screen shots of Google Earth images of the sites and coordinates. I also decided to take each site and make a least of the different point types and materials I've found at each

Comment

Working...
                      X