X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day and outside pics would be nice
    NW Georgia,

Comment

That complete corner- notch point is sweet.
      Last edited by Sage hen jack; 09-28-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I could not believe this when I saw it!! Right about 132 he picks up a stone...
        See if you see what I see...

Comment

Good helpful instructional video. I don’t believe your Stone was a pecking stone. I believe it to have been possibly pecked and ground/polished into something more along the lines of this—see pic

Comment

To be honest, I don’t think that’s an artefact in the sense of being a fabricator tool. It certainly isn’t an effigy. Maybe someone has polished it for whatever reason, or maybe not. I wouldn’t discount water tumbling as a potential mechanism for that kind of polishing.

As for it being a pecking stone… I have a couple of problems with that and the video you linked is unconvincing. What that guy is saying makes sense, but he’s using words such as “stones like this” and “similar to this”. I think it’s misleading when he talks about suitable shapes and how they fit in the hand without showing evidence that the stones he’s using as examples (despite being potentially useful and in one case a similar shape to yours) have ever seen that kind of use.

Yours is similarly unconvincing. You can’t use a stone for hammering or pecking without there being tell-tale traces of reciprocal impact damage and, in the case of those that “fit comfortably to the hand”, there are going to be differential traces that are more obvious at the proposed “business end” of the tool. I don’t see that on your stone and he doesn’t make any effort to show us that on his claimed examples.

What I would hope to see is this kind of chattering… at 4-5 o’clock on the first example, 5-9 o’clock on the second and pretty much all over on the third (very heavily used) item.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammer 1.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	395708

Name:	Hammer 2.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	395709

Name:	Hammer 3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	395710

I’ve seen highly polished stones of various shapes that have seen use as burnishing stones for pottery, but you really need site context and/or associated pottery items for those kinds of claims. Sometimes you can see linear scouring marks under higher magnification too. Otherwise, they just look like very smooth stones. This kind of thing:

Name:	Burnishing Stones.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	395711
            [Pic from Catawba Pottery in the Post-Revlutionary Era: A View from the Source. Riggs et al. In North Carolina Archaeology – Vol. 55, 2006]

See also the entry in the Information Centre, for a bit more detail:

BURNISHING/POLISHING STONES Polishing stones are a neglected class of artefact Maybe it’s hard to get excited about a polished stone. I also suspect it’s

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Pointblank
              Pointblank commented
              Editing a comment
              This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Northwren. If you could take some clear up close photos of the little stone in outside natural light. one where the stone is lying on its smooth back. A few straight on shots and or just slightly angled of what We’ll say is the top side. Most important is to see closely what appears to be possible pecked smoothed shallow shaping from middle small hump on the end towards the stones other end. The stone is quite small/ Its Pendant size. It’s unusual to say the least. It’s likely just a water worn interesting naturally occurring stone. But without good Natural light photos its difficult to say if the Stone shows signs of human/NA alterations
            Last edited by Sage hen jack; 10-06-2019, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Haven’t met you, but have read your posts here and on fossil forum. I am Cecilia. You disappeared for awhile. I am glad you are back.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• painshill
                painshill commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Cecilia. I'm glad too, and will probably revisit FF in the not too distant future.
            Working...
            X