help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying

found this in NE Georgia after a hard rain- I believe it's quartz it's about 2" and pretty thick in the middle for its size. I've picked up other tool-like pieces but haven't had them verified for authentication. thank you

Last pic makes me think it's a utilized chunk... Find a Lot of that vein quartz...cool tool!
    North Carolina

Comment

Need dry and outside pics to actually know for sure. If you are close to Canton Georgia I know that quartz splits naturally from heat and cold temperatures that we have on its own. I have Permisson to some property out that direction and I call it Quartz Creek. I do find a few artifacts but much more natural rocks mostly quartz.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

I appreciate y'all's time and input. I figured I'd need better pics, next time I'm home I'll do that. I'm no expert but I've been filling my pockets with rocks ever since I can remember. I built a cabin back off in the woods, in the foothills, I never dreamed that I'd actually be picking up, collecting, living on top of actual artifacts. I was out there more than a decade before I suspected. Years of erosion, moving earth, erecting sheds, plowing up gardens, anyway it was slow going. Several more years pass and truth be told, these are the first pics I've ever taken posted or communicated online or otherwise. This odd little chunk has me mesmorized and perplexed all at the same time. It is actually that glossy, it's not wet, the ears are carved to death it seems and as clear as glass. But it's function or use? I think there's evidence of hafting but idk? Might it have been worn?? As a pendant? I'll have to produce some better pics. Oh all that being said, excuse my crappy pics and my incorrectness and misuse of lingo please, I only recently began researching. I'm extremely excited to be a part of anything of this likeness, thanks guys for your time. I may shoot y'all a few more cool quartz finds or possibilities that I could use help with ID. The property location is near habersham, white, union county area for prospective.

Comment

Any idea if they are maybe anything more than rocks. I'm working on uploading more I'm having to resize and save in differ formats. These were the only two that would upload. I'll work on it though. as for now all the pics I have are all through the same screen window at differ times of the day. From same site in NE Ga.e hope they are clear enough see something?

Comment

Although if that’s the only material they could find they would of used it. It looks like vein quartz which is a type that has fractures running through it. One of my 1st sites had it. I found a few artifacts but mostly debitage. I believe you’re quartz could be a reduction piece. You should look for a different spot cause you probably won’t find many artifacts there if any completes
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Might find gold there

Looks like quartz. If edges are chipped possible tool head.

Comment

Yes gold is found in q

Comment

Welcome to another Georgia Quartz Finder! There are several of us.....
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                X