Identifying Authentic Arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Authentic Arrowheads

Hello Forum, I run a small online auction business. Several months ago, I sold a collection of Florida points that were personally dug over a 50 year period by someone I know. The sale went great except that he failed to tell me that he didn't dig EVERY point. There were a couple from elsewhere and a couple with repairs. No big deal. A few refunds were given and everyone is fine. That was my introduction into arrowheads. Recently, I attended another auction (not mine) where I purchased 5 arrowheads for a very small amount of money. These look terrific. To me, a certain novice, they look "too good". Would someone care to weigh in on this?

Welcome to the forum. I don't even need to see them close up to tell you that those are authentic Indian arrowheads... but only in the sense that they were made from Indian agate in ASIA in very recent years as decorative items. They're commonly sold as such for a couple of pounds each (or dollars in the US) at rock&gem fairs and increasingly sold with carefully-worded descriptions suggesting they're authentic native American items on eBay.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If you examine them more closely, you'll likely see signs of 'crushing' around the tanged end from mechanical flaking and very clean hinge fractures with no patination or mineralisation indicative of age or burial. Also, the notch is usually created by drilling a circular hole and then 'breaking through' from the edge, sometimes leaving a distinctive 'keyhole' shape. This kind of thing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Modern Tanged Arrowhead1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	396758 Click image for larger version  Name:	Modern Tanged Arrowhead2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	396759
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If your a novice, and are planning on doing your online auctions, and deal primarily in artifacts, this would be the best time to start your research and educate yourself. These, like Roger commented, are the typical, foreign exotic agates coming in from India and China. The antique shops, flea markets, ebay is a huge offender, and I've even seen these at artifact shows with COAs!! You don't need a scope to identify these, but your next $200 should be invested in a microscope. A simple binocular student scope is all you need. It can save you thousands of dollars going forward. But the fact no one bid you up on these should have been a red flag right there, like, somethings wrong here!!Good Luck to ya!!!
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Great info. Thanks guys. I have only dealt in artifacts the one time with my friend's arrowheads. I wouldn't dare try to sell something that I was not unsure of. You guys have confirmed my suspicions. These are very obvious now that I know what to look for. Thanks a million!

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Some still collect modern points but I don’t myself

**also, points of that look & quality(I say that as viewed from arm’s length) would bring a good deal of money were they authentic.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Beware points that look good in every way, but are being offered for low amounts of money. I bought an arrowheads yesterday that looked too good for the price I payed...I was right. It was authentic, but the repaired ear broke off. Still a nice point, but it's the principle behind it. It was misleading, and one should NEVER EVER intentionally mislead someone buying not telling the whole truth.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

As one person taught me on this forum, If it looks to good to be true It most likely is, trust your gut and ask yourself was this in the Ground, Creek or River for Thousands of years? One of many Tips from PK that has saved me many times so far.

Comment

Working...
              X