Field finds southern nj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field finds southern nj

Im thinking koens crispen, Piscataway ,schuykill any input would be greatly appreciated. The type,the lithic, the time period ? The one base is wider compared to others. Maybe different type completely. looks like maybe part broke off

The three round base points would be Morrow Mountain points if they were in Ga. not sure about your area. and the other point has a lot of look alike points hard for me to I.D. in my area
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

The upper middle gray point, and the lower point, are Piscataways, chalcedony and jasper. The right quartzite point is a Lamoka. Now the other jasper point is tough, and maybe it's due to the lighting or shadow, but the body of the point looks like a Fox Creek, but it looks like some recent flaking along the basal edges. The angled shoulders don't really fit the typology of the point with a straight base. That should be one of the Transitional forms, maybe a Susquehanna broad, because the point itself is to thin to be an Orient or Drybrook. The Piscataways are Woodland, 500 B.C. - 1200 A.D., the Lamoka is Archaic, 3500 B.C. - 2500 B.C., and the other, without a known type, don't know, but I think it's closest to a Fox Creek, Woodland.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Very nice array of lithic types! The ones that are similar have so many names and sub types. It can be a headache splitting typology ... Virginsville, Koens Crispin, Lehigh... All names of points that look similar. Morrow mountains are a big type that line up with broad spear tradition. Sort of lumping several types together. The largest point is the same in typology several names for stemmed points, but the base and stone type would make that easier to categorize. N Eastern collectors would know way more specifics. Love the material on the small grey point! Hornstone maybe?
        North Carolina

Comment

• utilized flake
          utilized flake commented
          Editing a comment
          like Mr Frey just did! Awesome!

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          The gray one is chalcedony, which originates as surface nodules the size of basketballs in Lehigh and the surrounding counties in eastern Pa. It's also associated with some of the jasper quarries. The problem with it is when you break the nodules open, the chalcedony is so fractured they could only get pieces large enough to make smaller points, normally less than two inches. Occasionally, but rare, will there be a flake large enough to make a point four inches or longer. Chalcedony is a common lithic across the country, but in Pa. and N.J.,the points aren't very large. So, if you start seeing points in quantity from Pa. or N.J.,,four inches or longer, you have to question their authenticity.

Thank you mr frey for checking them out and sharing your knowledge.

Comment

These responses are really great! I would call the grey one Rossville. It's twin in brown flint also. In my rock hounding I have found baseball sized gray chalcedony pebbles in southern NJ, sometimes on river banks and sometimes near hill tops on the inner and outer coatal plains and not always very fractured so dont rule out it being native. As you probably know Koens Crispin is a local Typology so that could be right, and often argillite, like Fox Creek in Southern NJ. Not sure what that merial is on that one looking at the photo.
          Great post and thanks for sharing. I love seeing South Jersey represented here. What county?

P.s. there is a chance that quartzite could be native S.Jersey pebble quartzite possibly heat treated, but i recognize that yellowy color and slightly raggedy texture.
          Last edited by kayakaddict; 10-24-2019, 10:01 AM.
          New Jersey

Comment

• pkfrey
            pkfrey commented
            Editing a comment
            That is the natural color of the quartzite. Quartzite isn't heat treated. It contains a lot of minute quartz crystals and moisture, and if heated it tends to break apart and crack like a heated glass marble. Quartizte is found in a huge deposits across central Pa., into N.J. and Md., and down into Va., and each quarry source will have different colors, depending on the minerals in the surrounding soils. There's Rose, black, brown, yellow, sugar quartzite, ferrigneous which has a lot of iron in it. And quite a few others. And yes, it is found as larger cobble sources along the Del River from glacial deposits. Now to Chazzybear, when I said recent flaking, I meant flake nibbles from farming implements.I'm pretty sure that's a Fox Creek.

• Chazzybear
            Chazzybear commented
            Editing a comment
            Ty kayak. Cumberland county

We have a vein of quartzite that runs through greenwich nj and possibly into delaware that is unique to our area. Called cohansey quartzite that the lenni lenape indians used.for thousands of years. Most stone in southern nj is not usable very sandy soil

Comment

I believe quartzite is heat treated. According to Jack Cresson and Alan Mounier, both prolific writers, knappers, resesrchees etc ... and respected archeologists in NJ there is clear evidence and purpose for heat trating quartzite. Check out ther books, articles, website etc. Ive experimented with heat traeting quartzite to replicae their publishings
            New Jersey

Comment

Chazzybear go look for some egg sized chert pebbles on the riverbanks of Bridgeton or Fortesque or any beaches in Cuberland county and you will find plenty of good knapping material. The pebble industry has been known in other places on the east coast, esp Cape May though lesser known is the riverine and bay pebble use in NJ. Also the local milky quartz pebbles are common lithics for triangles. You know about the Cohansey Quartzite. The pressure flaking improves greatly when gently heat treated. It is a gorgeous material in some cases (not the crumbly stuff as much)
              New Jersey

Comment

Can you cook quartzite and if so does it help the knappability of this tough lithic? I did find one article that stated some quartzite artifacts had been

New Jersey

Comment

Im actually reading a book by alan mounier right now called looking beneath the surface !!!

Comment

This is a great learning post . Thanks gentlemen

Comment

Working...
                    X