Name:	46DEB0DE-DA18-4A34-B4B6-A2BF64FB2385.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	398596 Click image for larger version

Name:	C2A691C8-C32E-44F0-A546-0AA4A51240D7.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	398597
    This birdstone was manufactured from a unique material, being a fossiliferous shale with calcite inclusions of the fossil bryozoa, species Fenestella. The chambers and cavities, and the structure of the bryozoa are visible under magnification. The bryozoa, after death, decayed and left a cavity, which was filled with calcite and hardened into the fossil, creating a mold of the original living organism. This was embedded in a stratified deposit of silicified shale. The structure can be seen in the attached microscopic photographs.
    This birdstone was first pecked to shape, with remnants of the pecking visible under magnification. The head was formed by grinding and smoothing, with the addition of noded eyes. The over all typology shows the correct shape, with conical reed drilling forming the holes. The holes were punched through to intersect with the opposite holes, and were enlarged by a sharp reaming tool, possibly the sharpened end of a stone drill. The bridges are narrow between the holes, which is a characteristic feature on authentic birdstones. The calcite exhibits small fractures which have absorbed mineral deposition, and there are mineral and caliche deposits at random surface areas, consistent with an artifact being subjected to lengthy periods of weathering. A small fresh chip at the rear of the base exhibits the original material, which is a matrix of blue/gray shale. There are visible striations from the smoothing and grinding process, and these are now weathered and oxidized, consistent with age.
    This is a small, but very well made birdstone, and exhibits all the necessary criteria and characteristics of an AUTHENTIC artifact, and after a thorough microscopic examination, I would conclude this is an AUTHENTIC prehistoric artifact, being a Noded Eye Birdstone.
    Date examined: 10/14/2019
    By: Paul R. Frey ( Raven's Relics ) 282 S. Reading Rd., Ephrata, Pa. 17522 Ph. 717-721-2451
    SE ARKANSAS

I’d trust that paper.👍
    Beautiful artifact, was it found in SE AR?
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      Calumet County Wisconsin around Lake Winnebago area

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You, It was a pleasure to evaluate this birdstone for you, and I was very pleased it did in fact turn out to be authentic. There's much more fossil showing in the holes, and on other areas that can't be seen in the photos. The external structures of the bryozoa are still intact, and although this is a piece of shale with an embedded fossil, the entire birdstone is a fossil in it's self. If the thin outside layer of shale could be chipped away, more of the fossil would be showing. You can add yourself to the list of collector's who own an authentic birdstone!! Good for you, this one was a lot of fun!! Much better in hand than the photos!! Enjoy, Paul !
      Last edited by pkfrey; 10-22-2019, 04:38 PM.

I was lucky enough to run across what I believed was an exotic porphyry Granite birdstone with noded eyes from Wisconsin. I could tell the patina and drilling looked correct to be an authentic ancient piece but I wanted a second opinion before closing the deal. I sent it to Mr. Paul Frey to get his opinion and knowledge on it. Mr. Paul contacted me and said this bird was actually created from a FOSSIL. I am absolutely amazed with this beautiful little bird. I was reading on the forum here and was astonished by the low number that is presumed to exist. I am curious how many are known for sure?
    Last edited by Artifascination; 10-21-2019, 05:21 PM.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I would say there’s at least one. That’s all I know of....😮
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        You always quick & funny! ...wonder if Hoss would sanction annual Best Rock Reparteer award? .... hmmm...... never mind; nobody’d be interested except same few Smart-Alecs who only find themselves, and sometimes each other, amusing...! Lol
        Last edited by Cecilia; 10-22-2019, 01:53 AM.

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Me, you, Johnny...a few more for sure.😇😁

I got in trouble a lot when I was a kid. I don’t have the internal monologue necessary to hold civility. If it crosses the mind, it’s already half way through the lips....

That’s different quite small from some I have seen in books
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Artifascination
        Editing a comment
        There was one found in Wisconsin made from a copper nugget that is similar in size and shape. I believe the average size of most birdstones are only 2.5”-4.5” in length with very few larger ones that are documented or that I could find on the web. Now I just need to make a nest for my baby bird lol.

So, you have a Birdstone? Really, really? .....I’m dumbfounded. Speechless. Struck as mute as if mouth superglued.... .no, that’s not accurate, because mouth hanging wide-open!! ... Gosh, maybe need call ambulance!

What next, Excalibur?

If don’t know yet, Art, sarcasm how I express affection and warm, fuzzy feelings. Just ask one of my ex-Hs! Also, I usually offer my services, like I can change newspaper five times a day if you want in bottom of gilded birdcage!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 10-22-2019, 01:51 AM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        What ?

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I just love it, and can’t really think of words reflecting great degree of appreciation. It truly is very rare....

What a cool relic. For some reason the pictures are really small when I click on them, I'd love to see some higher resolution pictures.

I love that style of birdstone, it's unique variant that isn't found over a very wide area.

I don't have my catalogs/books here, but it looks oddly familiar. Did the names Cassell out of Minneapolis or Kirk Whaley out of Wisconsin come up from the seller? (I assume it was a purchase, if it wasn't then my apologies.)
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Artifascination
        Editing a comment
        I posted a couple larger images. Not sure what happened on my first post up there.

What a lovely artefact.

For those wishing to read up a bit more about birdstones, there's some good background in our Information Centre:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	25536B33-477A-45A0-91D3-2F1557C9A239.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	398785 Click image for larger version

Name:	08B79001-29A8-4E7C-8D63-DE59C6945208.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	398784 Click image for larger version

Name:	8D2078E0-B0DF-49F6-9C69-080CFBD3B9CD.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	398783
        Attached Files
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Much better pictures
          NW Georgia,

Comment

So seeing it’s so small what is your thoughts on its use? I was thinking maybe used on a pipe for decoration
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
            X