Are these worth anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these worth anything?

Found in Central Utah wondering about how much these artifacts might be worth. Any help would be great.

That is an awesome piece!  It's a "snake head" harrahay four way knife.  I would say this is worth a couple hundred bucks.  It's complete, a nice size, well made, and a decent material.  Cool find!

Comment

OK here I would have to say that is a little more than $200. If I had that you could not get it for even $500.or $600. I have a pt.wood knife similar and have been offered $1000 for it. Still here in my collection. Really sometimes value is more to the person who finds the artifact. If selling those set your own price and if no one wants it so what just keep it.

Comment

Very true Wildhorse.  But I am not really one to ask because I would NEVER sell anything I find.  They are more important to me than money, and I have a job for that.  I have just seen them sell for around that much.  This does look more quality than a lot I've seen.  The only way to find out for sure is to put it out there and see how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Comment

What is appox. age or time period for this knife. Don't see the Harahey resemblance unless it is a local name given by finders of this type of knife. Just asking I have a find very much like this from my area. Different rock type though.

Comment

Anytime a complete point hit's the 5"+ mark no matter the type they bring big money.

Comment

Yes David I agree with that. What about the point/knife type and time period? Don't doubt its value would like to know more about the piece. Would take nothing for mine, not for sale!

Comment

As for your knife on age I am not even going to try. Don't know enough about artifacts off the Columbia. I think mine is around 5000 to 8000 years old. I get this from the layer we found it in. Just a guess on my part. My knife is in the photo and it is similar to yours. I have always though it a self defense dagger more than a work knife because of the shape. Mine also has the handle like I think to see on yours. And also like yours it will stay with us for now. Remember we are just care-takers and artifacts last for ever if cared for.

Comment

Well I will admit I do not know my western stuff. The closest thing in my opinion that it matched in Overstreet was a Cougar Mountain point from the Paleo period. A grade 8 example in there was listed as $2000-$3,500. It's hard to tell exactly though without seeing flaking and grinding. My opinion again not an expert in western stuff.

Comment

WOW!!! Cougar Mountian that is one very fine piece! The piece in question here is not that well worked and neither is mine. Ron's pic. of his blade is a lot closer. Will get some pics. of mine and post later probably not tonight. But maybe.

Comment

Makay am very sorry ,did not mean to take over your post. Just very interested in your find. Very Sweet Blade nice find!!

Comment

Yes Nice find Congrats!!!! Again i'm only trying to match a picture with a picture in a book. I'm clueless on western types.

Comment

Hey David appreciate your input. Here to learn from everybody. When you see pic. of my find think you will see why Im interested. Thanks!!

Comment

Sorry took so long to post pics. This is my find, think it does look a lot like yours Makay. Been told mine is Late Archaic or Early Woodland?? Any other opinions?

Comment

Beautiful blade ksrocks;
                              Is it made of Jasper? and would you think that it is a self defence type dagger or a utility knife. I have always though of my as a dagger. I can see that yours also has a handle end as mine does. looks to be the same length as ours. Mine came off the Columbia at Alderdale town site in the mid Columbia area.

Comment

Working...
                              X