No announcement yet.

Possibly Paleo made into stemmed point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly Paleo made into stemmed point?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5677ADF2-9042-465C-B042-7E1B6BB06E3B.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	402369 Click image for larger version

Name:	8CAC0F93-1850-4CE9-A1D3-625B8E50BD1A.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	402370
    This point was a creek find in Muskingum county Ohio. It looks like it could have been an old paleo with the overshot flaking but would like to hear some other opinions on it.
    SE ARKANSAS

OK, But you won't like what I have to say!! It looks like the base was rechipped into a broken blade, and then heated. It has the appearance of someone holding a cigarette lighter to it, in order to darken the color. It looks to be flame treated with charred residue!! Other opinions may differ, but I've seen this a thousand times. Hold a cigarette lighter edgeways on a broken blade, it will turn black from instant charring. Then wipe it off, some of the black will remain. Maybe, maybe not, but since you asked.........!!
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      I was considering purchasing this point but I am not familiar with the false patina methods. I believed it was creek stained and hadn’t been cleaned at all. At least that’s what I was told. I will send it to ya to check out. I wouldn’t figure it was worth enough to fake though.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done this one some of my own points to see what would happen. It looks the exact same way. I'll have to get a picture.

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's the thing, again with just some logic, if the base was patinated to that color from being river stained, then the staining would continue onto the blade, especially around the edges which are thinner. There are several types of Paleo and Early Archaic lanceolate forms that have that over shot parallel flaking, but the base wouldn't match the blade type. Unless, that is a Hardin with a shorter snapped base, and someone tried to make it look intact. IDK, things like this have to be seen in hand, but I think there's something fishy going on here, and not fishy from a stream!!

Base looks suspect to me, like Paul said. I've done the hold a lighter to the rock trick many times to give some of my rocks a better look, and to make the flaking pop.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d like to see a before and after on that KP I’ve never seen it before

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks decent on white points. I'll do it tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8AEA105-22B1-49F7-B5E5-2AAB941CC84E.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	403084 Click image for larger version

Name:	50429A15-829A-4766-9887-D1BA6DFE9E0B.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	403083
    I washed this point with dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water. The build up around the base was just some old algae that dried and was never cleaned off. The patina is consistent all the way around. It looks way better in hand than my pictures.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

It does look a lot better in these pictures. It's got classic percussion "Dovetail Flaking" which would be right for an Early Archaic Ohio point.

Edit for a bit of clarity. I'm not saying it's a Dovetail. That type of flaking with delta shaped flakes between bigger percussion flakes shows up on a lot of bigger Dovetails from Ohio, but wasn't exclusive to Dovetails it shows up on a couple of Early Archaic and Archaic types. It tends to give a slightly thicker, lenticular body like many big Dovetails have.
      Last edited by clovisoid; 11-14-2019, 01:39 AM.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

The knotching just don't look normal dovetail ?
        Is there any grinding on the base ?
        Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-15-2019, 12:58 AM. Reason: grinding question.
        SE IA

Comment

Working...
        X