Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas?

Hey everyone. New guy here. I'm helping a friend go through their collection. We came upon this and have really no idea what this is. I was thinking some kind of ax, but it has such a small hole drilled through it.

Its a banner stone, looks like a nice one. Wikipedia banner stone and find out more.
    SE IA

Comment

Butterfly Bannerstone. Unique hole, normally that type is a bit thinner through the body where the hole goes.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, just wanted to clarify. I've seen some authentic banners with narrow holes, I hope I didn't imply anything negative about the authenticity by saying it was unique.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Did you buy this?
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• HCGiles
          HCGiles commented
          Editing a comment
          No

It is a banded slate bannerstone for sure. May or may not be authentic. I would have to have better photos, especially one looking down into the hole seeing how it was drilled before I had a firm opinion. But I'm sitting here wondering where your friend got this collection. I'm more interested in how this friend acquired the collection than whether or not it is the real deal.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
            It is a banded slate bannerstone for sure. May or may not be authentic. I would have to have better photos, especially one looking down into the hole seeing how it was drilled before I had a firm opinion. But I'm sitting here wondering where your friend got this collection. I'm more interested in how this friend acquired the collection than whether or not it is the real deal.
            I posted 2 more photos.

Comment

Those two pictures show a great looking surface. Indiana or Ohio?
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thanks for the effort to provide more photos. But, unfortunately they don't help me decide whether or not I think it is the real deal. The reason being is that I would need to see down into the hole from either end to try to determine how it may have been drilled. And if this is the best view of the holes that can be provided, I would have to have it in hand to have a confident opinion. As I said, knowing where it came from (i.e. its provenance) and under what conditions it was found would go a long way in determining whether of not it is an authentic Native American artifact. Show us some other pieces from the collection and that could be helpful.

Comment

That piece, if authentic, would be a top shelf piece in any collection. Will you be showing us other pieces? Did your friend inherit the collection? Bannerstones are so easily identifiable by experienced collectors, I would assume your friend is not experienced, and likely not a collector himself. Do you or your friend have a history for the collection? Anyway, thanks for showing us, and welcome to our forum.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

• HCGiles
                    HCGiles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes she inherited it. Her and my father where friends years and years ago. Both where pretty much life long hunters. As a kid we would go hunting during the plowing season mostly around Cumberland and Putnam counties in TN, I remember driving through Monterey alot. My dad had a room built on our house and made a little sort of museum for his best pieces. He had a stroke in the early 80s and gave out his collection to his doctors. I have always been interested in Indian culture and artifacts because of this but my knowledge is very limited. My friend on the other hand did not take any interest in that sort of thing. So here I am asking guestions and will be showing pic and discussing.

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the additional info. You've come to the right place, and thanks for the additional photos posted below.
                    Last edited by CMD; 11-17-2019, 08:00 AM.

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                  Thanks for the effort to provide more photos. But, unfortunately they don't help me decide whether or not I think it is the real deal. The reason being is that I would need to see down into the hole from either end to try to determine how it may have been drilled. And if this is the best view of the holes that can be provided, I would have to have it in hand to have a confident opinion. As I said, knowing where it came from (i.e. its provenance) and under what conditions it was found would go a long way in determining whether of not it is an authentic Native American artifact. Show us some other pieces from the collection and that could be helpful.
                  Trying to get a good shoot but getting focus is very difficult. I'm pretty sure it came from Putnam county or Cumberland county in TN, but I'm not sure, he was a prolific Hunter. I'll throw up a couple of other pics here.

Comment

Hi HC. With the provenance you provided and the story, I suspect it may be a genuine artifact unless the man was known to sometimes buy items. It is a great piece. Because I spent much of my early life in Putnam Co., TN, I know a bit about the area. The first artifact I ever found there was at a very small rock shelter near Cookeville that I was exploring by myself having ridden to the area on my bicycle when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I used to do some spelunking in some of the area caves where I would sometimes find artifacts.

Comment

Comment

• sailorjoe
                        sailorjoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A dandy collection of artifacts representing Early Archaic and maybe earlier down till Mississippian times. And except for one are types and made from material I would expect to find in Middle Tenn. and for known types found in the north central part of the south into the midwest. All of them except for the large bi-pointed blade in the first photo. Besides looking like it's made of obsidian, it doesn't look right for the area. The one in the middle of the bottom row in the 3rd photo, I would like to see a lot better. There are some warning signs on that one as well.
                    Working...
                    X