• Show
Clear All

• GIANT Jade Celt from Washington

Click image for larger version

Name:	9630394F-7090-4B01-AD67-58EEFF04A08B.jpeg
Views:	558
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	405506
    This Giant museum quality 11” Nephrite Jade Celt was found in King county Washington. I have been looking for an artifact made from a unique material. I have seen a couple jade Celts that were about half this size and heavily worn but I really like this material. I was just about to buy one of them when this one come up for sale. I was curious how many of these are known around this size ?
    SE ARKANSAS

That is a long one. The Nephrite adz and celt i made are about half that length.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Awesome piece. Rare to see that tapered base, normally they are just squared up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	891.9 KB
ID:	405537

I'll have to dig up some pictures I have three of them that are probably 8" or more. Here is one of them. I have seen a 17" example that eroded out of a burial along a river in Idaho. It likely has some grooves along one of the edges where it was cut from a large block of nephrite.

Almost all of them in your area come the Fraser River and were made by the Salish peoples. If you have a gmail account, you can download this paper which has a lot of info on them.

https://www.academia.edu/24370625/Th...olumbia_Canada

Last edited by clovisoid; 11-26-2019, 02:30 AM.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Artifascination
        Artifascination commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Clovisoid! That is a very interesting study with a wealth of knowledge on these beautiful artifacts! Please post some pics of your Celts when ya get a chance.

Wow !
      SE IA

Comment

Yowzer! That's a giant!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Let's see the bit looks nice
          NW Georgia,

Comment

There is a man in Big Sur California that is known for making jewelry from local jade source in the mountains .
            I am sure this was a valued trade lithic and I am not surprised to see it a couple of states North .
            very unique .

Comment

Working...
            X