Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American or just rocks

Hi,
    I found 3 unique rocks. 2 of the rocks were found at the same place that I found a Miwok grinding stone / mortar and pestle.
    thank you for everyone’s help!

Hi, Rosa, and welcome! I’m a newbie (wonder how long can get away with that as excuse?!), but first rock sure does look pecked and ground to me. At a loss to guess what used for besides grinding, though. Others here very experienced, very smart, and first thing gonna ask is where you found them?

(And, ewww-weee, show us your mortar and pestle, please!!)
    Last edited by Cecilia; 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Rosaparks
      Rosaparks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your feedback Cecelia. I found it in Sonoma County, (near Petaluma) in the same place I found a grinding stone and a lot of obsidian flakes.

• utilized flake
      utilized flake commented
      Editing a comment
      You sure sound seasoned now Eli (nickname of endearment) that newb t shirt is all ragged and needs to be pitched!

One more. I’m not sure if this is Native or not. But it’s shape and ridges were symmetrical. On the bottom of this stone has interesting, perfectly even ridges.
    Thank you!.

Comment

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow.....and I thought I had some eccentrics....

And, o, go to New Members section and introduce yourself. (As SurfaceHunter advised me 6 months ago, after I put my first post in the middle of someone’s else post!). You’ll get lotsa responses pretty fast!
        Last edited by Cecilia; 11-29-2019, 09:27 AM.

Welcome Rosa, those are some interesting ...and confusing pieces. I'm going to offer my opinion. Remember, I'm basing it off a few pics so it's hard to say. I would think the first piece could be a celt that wasn't finished or some how the bit broke off or maybe a rock used to grind. 50/50 on whether it's natural. The second piece looks natural to me. The third one looks like a platform pipe preform, but I don't really think it is. Those are usually made of soapstone or something softer as far as I know. Odd looking piece but I'm leaning towards natural on that one also. Hopefully others will give their thoughts.
      Central Ohio

Comment

The first piece looks like it could be a celt. The last piece? I don't have a clue except that it is man made and whether finished or not I have no suggestions. Definitely a strange piece. Maybe someone else may be more helpful. It may help to know what kind of lithic it is..

Comment

Rosa, was looking at old 3/15/17 post “Pipe?” which was about a phallic-looking piece, and thot about your second object! You should check it out, if for no other reason than it’s interesting and funny! The more I’ve thought about your piece, tried to imagine how could be used. There are some larger drills that resemble (to me) a hitchhiker’s closed first with thumb sticking up. “Thumb” of course was business end, and “fist” was what user grasped to twist drill back and forth. If your object had a pointier end, I see it being a very effective drill for larger hole-making....... just a thought.....
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            LizFlake, BC lucked out you her mentor....!🤭

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re brain is always goin a mile a minute, good for u.

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            P.S.it would be the Queen of wit, I hope !!!
        Working...
        X