Largest Points Known?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Points Known?

What is the largest point that you have seen? The largest point that I have ever seen that was unquestionably 100% authentic is a 9 inch Dalton and 8 3/4 inch Adena. I am just curious as to what are some of the larger authentic examples that y’all have run across from shows to personal finds or on the internet. All replies are welcome
    SE ARKANSAS

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	406719

The Duck River Cache has blades in excess of 20 inches I believe, it's worth the visit to McClung Museum in Knoxville TN to see.

Pictures and descriptions of several different "exotic" forms of flaked stone bifaces from the Duck River Cache.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I've seen those and they are incredible!

Comment

As a knapper it's tough to even fathom finding material that big to knap a piece that long.

Comment

I have a snapped base Kirk that is around 5" but I'd have to measure it to be exact.

Comment

Here is the Kirk and it is shy of 5. This other point which I think is a Hardin is close to that as well. I have some good sized points and some large bifaces/tools as well.

Comment

The following extracts are from “The Obsidian Blades of California” by Horatio N Rust, published in 1905:

During a canoe voyage on the Klamath and Trinity rivers in the northern part of California, in 1898, the author had occasion to visit many Indian villages and took the opportunity to make special inquiry for obsidian spears, knives, or swords, as they are commonly called. Ten in all were seen and five procured. They measure from seven to fifteen inches in length and from two to four inches in width, and are beautifully chipped to the edge from end to end. In color the obsidian is black, red, or gray. In almost every instance the owners were reluctant to show these blades. All were carefully wrapped in redwood bark and carefully hidden away, sometimes under the floor of the lodge, oftener outside beyond the knowledge of any one except the owner. In one instance the owner could not be induced to get his blade until night-fall, in order that no one should learn of its hiding place.

He provides illustrations (not to the same scale) of two specimens in the Museum of the Department of Anthropology, measuring 10 inches (no.1) and 13 inches (no.2) in red and black obsidian respectively.

Click image for larger version

Name:	California Obsidian Blades.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	406745

He goes on to say:

An idea of the value of these blades among the Indians, and this value is not likely to have increased in the last fifty years, may be obtained from the fact that they are generally reckoned as worth a dollar per inch of length. This is, however only a rough approximation. Blades less than 6 or 8 inches long would be held at a lower ratio. Beginning with blades from 12 to 15 inches in length to those still larger the ratio rises. A good blade 20 inches long would rarely be parted with by its owner for fifty dollars, while one 30 inches in length is practically invaluable.

Although he didn’t manage to acquire any (and perhaps wasn’t even able to persuade anyone to show him) it does suggest he believed that 20 and 30 inch examples did exist.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

The longest flaked artifacts I have seen are from Belize. There is a biface in a museum there that is about 8 inches thick that is 48 inches long. It wasn't hafted or carried much, just made and buried. The key factor is raw material availability. I can't find a picture of that one, but here is a slightly smaller one in the link.

I have some from Mexico that are almost 15 inches, but you could get probably get obsidian blocks much larger than that.

I probably have 200+ obsidian blades from Guatemala & Mexico that are 6"+, it's kind of average size.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Couldn't figure out how to add pictures and the link.

Here is a bad picture of my biggest broken one. Broken in three places, different patina one each face. Like a lot of these, they went for size or quality, but rarely both.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                    Lindenmeier-Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Who knows what types of artifacts still lay hidden in S America.

• sailorjoe
                    sailorjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow!!!

• utilized flake
                    utilized flake commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Killer! Wow man!

Interesting thread.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Working...