Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsidian Desert Delta or Cold Springs Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian Desert Delta or Cold Springs Point?

Click image for larger version  Name:	AF31E1DD-A1F7-4B8C-88A2-DA30E5951EDD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	15.9 KB ID:	410435
    I purchased this translucent obsidian point that come from Lake County Oregon part of the old Byron Anderson collection. It was listed as a Desert Delta point but it seems to fit the Cold Springs type a little more because of length. It’s a tad over 1.5” What would you call it?
    Last edited by Artifascination; 12-18-2019, 10:48 PM.
    SE ARKANSAS

Incredible if it’s authentic!

I have no clue about obsidian points from your area. I do have a few gem points in my collection that somehow found there way to the East coast. I buy them when I run across them because they are just cool!

Von

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s definitely without a doubt authentic but obsidian is not found in my area either. I wish it was.

Delta Side Notched Desert Series points have been found that are thrusting spear size . Lake County Oregon is out of range for the type but who knows ? The point in question sure looks like a Delta .

Comment

It looks like a northern side notched to me the desert delta series usually have much shorter blades, thinner notches and are rarely over an inch in length where the northern side notch has a much longer blade and wider notches. I don't know much about tyre cold springs type though.

Comment

• Artifascination
        Artifascination commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked on projectile points and the northern side notch fits the type perfectly and states in the additional comments that the Cold Springs variety overlaps the time period and location of this point and has no distinguishing differences between them. So basically they are the same point with 2 different names. Very interesting. Thanks for the opinions and info

Originally posted by Kaleb View Post
      It looks like a northern side notched to me the desert delta series usually have much shorter blades, thinner notches and are rarely over an inch in length where the northern side notch has a much longer blade and wider notches. I don't know much about tyre cold springs type though.
      There is a size gradient from small arrow points to large Exotic forms of the Delta Side Notched that are in fact much larger than the typical size of much older Archaic types described in the Northern and Pacific side notched types . From Justice . It's sure the right area for a Northern . There's a lot of variation in the types .
      Last edited by south fork; 12-19-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

The one thing that can be said for sure is it's definitely good looking.

Comment

JMHO but I see a large Desert Series arrow point. I have seen Desert Series points of up to 2" long. This point is to finely made and refined. I can post a couple pictures later if need be but Northern's are a much heavier made point and a little differently made. They may look similar and over lap geographically but they were made thousand of years apart. I have no doubt its not a Northern or Cold Spring

Comment

Beautiful thing, skillful craftsman thanks for sharing, I will call it master piece!!
            I found this one Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260051.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	412111 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260052.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	412112 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260050.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	412113 in the corn field, for very small game, it is worked very difficult to catch in the pic, I need better camera and lights.

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be quartz debitage, but it's not a tool. You are correct that the OP's point is beautiful, but it's incorrect to compare it to a small chunk of quartz.

Artifascination, Here are a couple similar Desert Side Notched Points from that general area for comparison. The translucent Obsidian point is 2" long and the darker Obsidian point is 1 1/2" long.
            Your point in this thread is a Killer!!

Comment

Working...
            X