Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay To Dig Sites SE Texas and Western Louisiana

Good afternoon and Happy New Years Eve everyone,

Im over in Houston and I’m greatly fascinated with the types of points, and artifacts that are found from the cultures that existed in SE Texas and Western Louisiana, but can’t seem to find and reputable places to go hunting.

Even out in the Corpus Christi area seems like an amazing place to unearth, if there are any private land owners willing.

I’ve heard Louisiana has some pay sites to dig, but searching the internet doesn’t come up with any results.

Does anyone have any ideas or leads?

Thank you in advance for your help.

CE

I've never been myself. There might be some Texas people here that can help send jj a pm and ask him if he knows of any
    NW Georgia,

Comment

There is one on the Frio River and forgot what is called, seen several post about being there.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Butches camp live oak has both prongs of frio running through it. I left 4 open holes there drop in one you never know. He’s a really great guy.

Originally posted by willjo View Post
      There is one on the Frio River and forgot what is called, seen several post about being there.
      I’ve seen photos from that site it does look pretty promising.

Comment

Pay to dig just sounds like a waste of money. I wouldn't even bother digging. Just find a bean, cotton, or whatever kind of fields there are down there, and just walk the surface. It's amazing what you can find on the surface, and folks would rather let you walk their plowed fields, instead of digging them up.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

http://www.austindiggers.com/paydigs.php here is a link to tx pay digs. The quality of finds at Chrisners is amazing.

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you been there? I’m interested in going somewhere like that, just for a chance to find something different.

• SGT.Digger
            SGT.Digger commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been to christners 2 times the price is fair but be ready to move some dirt . There was a couple untouched brm’s middens when I was there 12 years ago. They don’t want you starting new holes but to dig in areas that are opened and he will set out flagging if he doesn’t want you to dig any further in certain areas. Best thing is to camp there for 3-4 days if he still allows that and get the lay of the land and get on a good hole. There “was” a couple real nice rock shelters at one time that had paleo in them . When I was there folks finding andice deep in the creeks. If you know how to screen you can find em. Pitch fork or a pick you can drop in a hole and break off a huge shelf with minimal energy versus hand digging with a wiggle pick or hay hook. I always screen my dirt so takes me longer but find small birds that everyone else would miss + I save all my flint. Have fun

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            You link has a picture of a real nice Kerrville Knife. I enjoy knapping those.

Not sure exactly where you are but the beaches have plenty of arrowheads and you can walk free. Most of the Clovis points that are found in Tx, are found at Port Arthur , the beach there... Take another piece of my heart - home of Janice Joplin ........JJ
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            And Jimmy Johnson! Don’t forget Jimmy!

(They were class mates), and he was a team mate of Jerry Jones @Arkansas and on the 1964 national championship Razorback team, but all that was before Jerry lost his mind, got tired of winning, and fired Jimmy.

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Never understood that... I’m sorry but I don’t watch Dallas lose anymore. They got me all depressed. Now, I watch Kansas City Chiefs bc Pat is the man ! I saw him throw a football 65 yards from on his knees... Who can do that ? Pat !

Most any high sandy hill (near creeks or rivers) in east Texas that I’ve dug has arrowheads. Lots of birds , deeper layers will reveal a large layer of pottery makers caddo type folks with lots of fired clay balls as part of pottery hearths. I’ve found Cedar posts from permanent dwellings so they were obviously farmers , during a large period of time these Indians relied on what they grew because in those middle layers (apox 2’) there was very little flint chips but tons of pottery and the occasional caddo type blade. You need to be able to know the ranchers to have access to great sites . There’s so many sites but very few folks even know what they have . There’s some big rivers that have a lot of great potential too . I had access to miles of the brazos and navasota River through some farmers. A guy I went to school with used to find mastodon bones , molars , all the time on the brazos . Farmers will be a good ask too and wouldn’t mind if you walked depending on who you ask. Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X