Has anyone ever seen this style of knapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever seen this style of knapping

this blade was found in my grandpas field in southern indiana. I believe its a flake off Indiana Hornstone and I havent found anything like it as far as having a smooth middle on both sides. Its nice and thin.

Other side ?
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

other side is more crude but still smooth through middle also
      Attached Files

Comment

Your not gonna like it but I’m going to tell you anyway.......... That is where a Clovis point was salvaged into a a cutting blade or scraper. Most likely a archaic NA found and modified it.... I hate it when that has happened but salvaging was a normal practice ! Super find / score
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

it is a tool, perhaps used as a knife or maybe a scraper. Not anything that can be identified as belonging to any particular time. Not uncommon to find tools that we have a hard time thinking "now exactly what was that used for". Unlike, LM/JJ, I don't think it was a repurposed Clovis.

Comment

I understand its a tool/knife/scraper but the ability to knap and have a controlled edge all the way around instead of flaking across in various patterns is something i haven't seen much of.

Comment

I was going to suggest a similar idea as jj. A paleo point that was reworked. A possibility anyway
              South Dakota

Comment

I have seen a few hornstone Cumberlands that have the flaking patterns almost identical to that. I’m not saying that yours is a salvaged Cumberland but I have seen one that was broken and reworked that was found with the Cumberland that Ashley gave me from Kentucky. Very similar. Awesome find !
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

I was thinking a end scraper. The narrow end in a handle and the wide end as the scraping edge. But could be a hand held knife also
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

It looks like it was made on a flake hence the flat on both sides. JMO but I'm not seeing evidence of a flute.
                    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 01-14-2020, 02:48 PM.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Well I have never thought of it as being a typical piece so im just gonna say it was reworked out of something like this HAHA
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                        Lindenmeier-Man commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In first post, pic #2 . Run your finger down the edge. I don’t have it in hand but I’m almost certain I see heavily ground edge on what would be the length of the flute. If you’ve found or dealt with paleo points before. You will know the edge has been ground..

Great looking piece. Could be anything anyone here posted but bottom line it's a NA artifact congrats.
                      New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                      X