Trade Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Point

Hi everyone, about a month ago I was lucky enough to find a whole iron trade point in Las Animas county, CO. I found it in an area full of detrius where in the past I'd found historical stone points and a ton of pre-forms and brokes. Anyway, my question is something I probably already know the answer to - should I attempt to straighten the point, and if so, how do I do it? If I store it in a dry environment inside a riker case will that stop it from rusting further? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TP1.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	423677 Click image for larger version

Name:	TP3.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	423678 Click image for larger version

Name:	TP2.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	423679
    Last edited by Dunewalker; 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM. Reason: I was fighting with the pictures...they wouldn't load at first.

That's a nice find Dunewalker. Sometimes it is best to just leave well enough alone.
    keep on keepin after

Comment

Nice find! Understand your want to straighten that out but old rusted metal doesn't like that. Agree with PointHound.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I totally agree with the other two. It would SNAP and that would be sad.
        BTW That's a real nice find.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Dunewalker
          Dunewalker commented
          Editing a comment
          I asked a question that essentially I knew the answer to, and you guys are reaffirming that. I agree with everyone here, sometimes the way you found it is worth the most. Thanks for commenting.

Real nice find man
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Not something you find every day I'd leave it just the way you found it. Might of got they way from use.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Very nice find!!

Comment

Really cool find.
              Central Ohio

Comment

Prolly take a wire brush and knock that rust right off, maybe put it in a vice and smash it back straight.

said no one, ever.

that’s a super cool find. The bend makes it even cooler to me.👍
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Think I’d leave it be . Under that rust , there may be a hole. If you were to bend it back, it might would break..
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

To stop the rust you can use this solution Gomer is the top restoration man in the business. There are others that are very good and maybe as good . Gomer and his son lead the pack in my opinion. https://forums.arrowheads.com/index....shell-bone-etc
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice to find one. Hopefully you can preserve it
                    South Dakota

Comment

It looks nice in the display frame, and you can tell people that it might have bent when it hit something. (Or when a cow stepped on it.)
                      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I certainly had no intention of trying anything until I asked the experts here. I think, ultimately, I've decided to leave it in exactly the condition in which I found it. I've never liked to see artificial sheens on artifacts, but Dr. Gomer does sound like the expert of experts. I don't think I'll even scribble a number on it for my log books...I'll label the riker case and call it good. I don't log them for my own memory - although I may need that one day - I do it so that the location and history of when and where the artifact was found isn't lost like I see in so many collections. Sometimes that's more valuable than the artifact itself...

Comment

Working...
                        X