Chisel tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisel tip?

I found this today no insitu picture other than the wet underneath side😉. But my question is how can you tell if it's a chisel tip knife or a broken tip knife? Looks compete on the tip to me but could be snapped also I guess. Its uni faced and I know its not a drill case the stem has cortex on the very end.
    N GA personal find. Wish there was more but nothing more than a few cores and this today. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200221_133414.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	425755 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200221_133426.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	425756
    NW Georgia,

Forgot the tip section Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200221_174427.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	425759
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I see where you are getting at, looks kind of thin at the tip to be a break, almost like it was worked that way. I don't know, unless being in the creek and water wear have something to do with it? Thats a nice find SH .
      keep on keepin after

Comment

Thanks seeing its uni faced I was thinking some kind of chisel or scraper I don't think I've ever found one like it yet.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Its not a paleo rectangular blade is it?
          Attached Files
          keep on keepin after

Comment

That would be nice if it was but no probably Woodland time frame.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• PointHound
              PointHound commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatever it is, it is interesting.

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks it was nice to find the flint in all of that quartz. I've never found a chert cobble there yet but have found 3 flint pieces. Must of traveled a long ways to get it.

Nice find surface....im still empty handed for 2020 but havent been able to get out much either....interesting find you have there
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              This creek even shallow as it is still has lots of current from the water rushing down the hills. Lots of cobbles. I still need the water to drain off before being able to walk all of it. I got lucky twice this week so far. I guess it could be a end scraper Woodland period liked the socket style.

It certainly looks like a hafted end to it, but whether it was a scraper or a knife I'm unsure. I've seen a few like it posted, reminds me of a hafted square knife but I don't think they did that.
            Central Ohio

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that's it just took me a while to see it cause I just don't find many in that style. A end scraper type of tool.

I’m with Flint guy on this Surface....Thanks for sharing....
            North Central Kentucky

Comment

Thanks Kevin, it was hard to see I love creek hunting better than any other way of finding them.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

It’s a Artifact , that’s what it is !
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks I didn't think rock that's for sure. I like the feeling of worked flint. Carried it in my hand for a long time.

• flintguy
                  flintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do the same thing! Hold it in my hand, flip it around and around. If you hold up a black piece to the sun, you can see the refraction of the light (rainbow effect) off the surface. Things you notice when you spend too much time staring at a hunk of chipped chert. 🙂

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm so good at it now I just reach then feel it in my hand and don't even have to look to know if its worth keeping or not. The way I hunt you grab a lot of rocks. I hunt the current, lots of bending when you look like that.
                  Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 02-22-2020, 08:04 PM. Reason: Auto wrong

Nice looking Flint. Glenn. Interesting find for sure
                SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Red it was something different. I don't usually find pieces worked on both sides that aren't points.

I don't understand how it's uniface? My understanding is uniface means worked on one side only....

I see plenty of flakes removed from both sides.

The pics confuse me as the first two make it look like the broad square end is snapped off, but the tip shot looks like it's finished in a steep, blunt curve.

The plano-convex shape says hafted scraper to me.

Just having a hard time looking at it for some reason.

Either way it's an interesting piece and a cool find.

The material is very reminiscent of obsidian, isn't it?
                California

Comment

Tom its flat on the bottom and thick but worked down on the top section. The tip (working edge) is done like a gouge but secondary flaking along the edge and sides for cutting and scraping. In the one pic on the hafting end you can see some tan cortex the whole end is cobble cortex that's why I ruled out a broken drill. Hope the description is good for you. Its chert but my favorite type the nice glossy black.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomf
                    tomf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fine description and I see it better now.

I had noted the cortex on the haft end. Cortex can explain so much, at least get you oriented.

It's one of those really interesting tools that seems to have had a specific purpose that dictates it's shape.

It's cool to find a type of tool that's unusual to your area.
                Working...
                X