Stone effigy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone effigy?

So i found this a few months back down by the creek in front of my house where they were putting in a new bridge. I also found other stone tools and projectiles in the same area as this, so i know this wouldnt be an isolated find.

I hope the pics do this justice because this really is a cool thing to look at.

I posted it on facebool and a person said it just looked like a pestle--nothing more, but you can clearly make out a mouth that has been carved, a nose and a right eye. The back of it is peculiar too--why is it like that?

I do not think so. Maybe hammerstone..... Got pics of the other artifacts from the same area?
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Let me post some better quality photos. I only have two arrowheads with me that were found in the same location--the others are back at my house (im working a job away from home right now). I included photos of them below with some hopefully better quality photos of the piece in question.

Comment

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        I am groot!

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Made me laugh Tom I like that movie

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom your my hero

I like those bifaces

Comment

In this particular photo, from your second set, it's possible I see some pecking. Hardstone tools are pecked into shape, so pecking can reflect manufacturing. Pecking will also appear on hammerstones, in which case the pecking results from battering something, not from the manufacturing process. It looks like some pecking here, but I am not certain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	235DC0E0-3BF3-4172-8778-E2BCE4F968A5-22078-000008F57CE2EF4E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	425918

Now, all that said, I doubt very much that that is an effigy. It is a great candidate for tricking a person into seeing a face due to pareidolia. And I believe that is what it is, a natural rock that the imagination can see as a face. But it may show pecking, and hence human handling, and perhaps usage....
        Rhode Island

Comment

Nice rock
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like flint to me. Could have been rolling around in the creek and been damaged.

Comment

I agree with CMD.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

im seeing what i believe to be a beat up nodule of flint that had a hard life. If you have an effigy in hand there will be no question imo.

Comment

Working...
                X