Western Stemmed Points and the "Sloth Slayer Points"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Stemmed Points and the "Sloth Slayer Points"

We have seen good evidence that the Western Stemmed points found at Cooper's Ferry are Pre-Clovis. I know that Steve is convinced that the SS points are Pre-Clovis. The SS points have the same general shape as the Western Stemmed points but the flaking is very different. Just look at those large serrations. Has anyone here ever seen other points that closely resemble the Sloth Slayer Points?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

No pics on my end .

Comment

Thanks Dennis, I assume too much. Here are some pictures:

Western Stemmed Points from Cooper's Ferry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooper's Ferry.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	426414
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sloth Slayer Point
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8452.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	426415
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• POINT MAN
        POINT MAN commented
        Editing a comment
        Stuart Fidel, a Senior Archeologist at the Louis Berger group revisited Cooper's Ferry and had much to say about this supposedly pre-clovis site. He wrote an extensive paper on it questioning much of what had been done there. These points found at the site according to Fidel were Lind Coulee type and NOT
        a pre-clovis type.

I will say this all the years i grew up hunting points in the Pacific northwest i found quite a few stemmed points but none were ever serrated like coryell's.
      Wyoming

Comment

I've always thought the Boggy Branch type I reassembled the SS. I realize the BB is only found in a small area in the South East.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Base is a little different, but its an older type of point. So, I assumed the sloth slayer is not any kind of documented type, just speculation. Am I wrong?
          Last edited by flintguy; 02-24-2020, 04:26 PM.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Flintguy, That is what I am wondering. The Coryell is the closest that I know of.

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you have me looking through my overstreet. Wells and Searcy kind of have that shape and serations, but not the flaking.

Been looking at western stemmed all day now, this is crazy fun for me. Bases look to made in totally different ways too. Although the sample size is small to me its like a person who had seen a western stemmed (particularly Alberta) made some in the way he/she knew how.

I know Im new to napping, but I do haft almost all I make. I saw it mentioned on the link posted from 2014, something different about those bases on the sloth slayers. Thats way more then you need for close pin and beveled rods wouldn't work

Comment

Interesting topic, I too have wondered about any associated types to the SS points found by Garscale. Yesterday when Brett mentioned Coryell, it peaked my interest because I was not familiar with the type. I had wondered if the SS might have been a regional variation of a known type, were the flaking varies. We see that some times with other types that encompass a large geographic area. If I remember correctly Garscale was adamant about there occurrence at lower levels than dated Paleo types right above the hard pan.
          It's an interesting conversation, even though the occurrence of stemmed pre Clovis types is well documented as you displayed above.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Ron,

In the other thread I mentioned the similarities, I guess I meant general similarities. Stemmed and serrated, which are very non-Clovis like traits. The Sloth Slayers are a different beast that most early paleo points. But the Cooper's Ferry points are also really distinct from most Great Basin Western Stemmed Points.

I know a couple of great Texas Archaeologists that think they are just beefy Coryell points, which are solidly Archaic in Central Texas. Another Archaeologist thinks they are more related to Ozark regional types like Rice and Searcy, also Archaic points. East Texas variations from Central Texas can be quite different, simply because the lithic resources are very different. Often that results in smaller, thicker points. But with some paleo and early archaic points the results are the opposite, they used imported materials and points tend to be very high quality. On the opposite side of Texas where JJ hunts, you occasionally get some Bajada, Jay and other stemmed, serrated points. (Not identical, but something along the same vein.)

For anything to be recognized as a true pre-Clovis type, it's going to take a bit more than our forums and a couple of COA issuers calling something a valid type. Many sites, with some of the highest caliber research and archaeologists involved, were dismissed for decades before they were generally accepted by the Archaeological community.

Joshua
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joshua, I remember Steve saying that he left an area untouched so it could later be scientifically investigated. I also remember him saying that he had offered to have archeologists involved in the dig but they were not interested until they later saw what he was recovering. I wish Steve was still here for an update.

• TJdave
              TJdave commented
              Editing a comment
              I think its incredible that there might be something unique and odd in my neck of the woods. You can bet Ill be scouring the clay bank on the Angelina next time I fish it.

• POINT MAN
              POINT MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Guys, READ: Cooper's Ferry Revisited a paper by Stuart Fiedel / Senior Archeologist. You can find it on the internet.

Killer point

Comment

I love the impact fracture on the SS point

Comment

Ron I've tried to contact Steve several times. To no avail. I live only 30 min. away from him. Maybe someday he will show back up.
                east Tx.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Rodney, Thanks for trying to contact Steve. I would love to hear from him.

Hello Gentlemen, I know this is an old discussion but I have been reading a lot about the archeological excavations at supposedly pre clovis sites. In particular the Cooper's Ferry Site. This site was revisited in 2020 and was documented in a paper by Stuart Fiedel , a Senior Archeologist at the Louis Berger Group. The site as a whole was found to be extensively disturbed by rodents and mammals.
                The Western Stemmed points that were found there were Lind Coulee points. He has documented a compelling paper on the site not being a so called pre clovis site. Search for Cooper's Ferry Revisited in response to "The Pre-Clovis Peoples" September 2020. It is a good , fascinating read from a noted Senior Archeologist.

Comment

hey guys. I know little about the cooper's ferry dig but have read extensively about it. TAMU recently dug on a site adjoining the Gault site and documented points pre Clovis and likely associated to Western Stemmed traditions. My guess is that my SS points are related to western stemmed. I am certain they are not archaic.

I won't name assertions I can't defend but I will say I dug them as much as 2ft into the clay and below all other varieties of paleo. They are a cool point.

Comment

• LongStride
                    LongStride commented
                    Editing a comment
                    your not the only Texas collector that said that

• Garguy
                    Garguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Longstride, I dug 50 or so of them along with all the debitage and occupation evidence.
                Working...
                X