Knife Blade Fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Blade Fake

This was given to me by a person who said he found it on his property in the lower Hudson Valley New York. It is exactly 6" long. The point is perfect and is razor sharp. In fact it is way too perfect for an artifact that is supposed to be at least 200 years old. There is no patina. I do not know what type of material it is made of. I am by no means an expert and I have never seen a knife with this offset tang style. To make matters more suspect he has another one exactly like it. .Perfect! I'm almost 100% sure it is of recent manufacture and do not want to include it in my display of authentic points. Any thoughts and comments welcome..Thank you very much. W.T.

I don’t like the looks of it either. I think it’s modern and the style is wrong. At least I have never seen that style before.
    South Dakota

Comment

More like over 400 years. Don’t think to many native Americans were chipping away on flint in the 1800’s in the 16-1700’s stone tools were rapidly replaced by metal tools acquired by trade and guns replaced bows as soon as they could get them.

Comment

Reminiscent of old world stuff......but don’t know much about that.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

More than one picture might help and taken outside in natural light to see if there is any fresh hinges on it. Was it a creek find or a dirt find would also be good to know. Looks like jasper type of material. If you don't want it send it to me I will pay the shipping 🙂
          NW Georgia,

Comment

We need more photos and straight down and not an oblique view as is this one and both sides. Regarding the lack of patina. That can be a consideration in determining antiquity but not necessarily. It depends under what conditions they are maintained since they were originally lost or deposited.
            Last edited by sailorjoe; 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

in my opinion that is modern made from a slab of some type of jasper.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. I think it's a modern made piece designed to be hafted like a normal modern handled knife. (Picture a chef's knife design.)

Lots are made in India
                Last edited by clovisoid; 03-02-2020, 12:06 AM.
            Working...
            X