Clear All

• Snapped base knife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76284.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	428243

Gopher tossed up this little knife.

It's another blade that's snapped off just below the haft.

I know there has been discussion on whether this might, in some cases, be design, rather than damage.

I've never really bought into that idea (it seems an odd and risky way to finish a piece ), yet am struck how common it is.

Also have noticed how the break is often below the shoulder rather than at the shoulder (which might be a naturally weak point) - but that's still hasn't been enough to convince me.

This example has me reconsidering.

There is grinding on this knife and there are signs it was done after the haft was snapped.

If so, perhaps it makes the case for intentional snaps.

Hopefully the photos are clear enough to show where some small (micro) abrasions have run across the edge of the break.

Other than that, it's a nice knife. Very sharp with a cool little bevel at the tip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200303_163435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	428240

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200303_163444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	428241

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200303_163349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	428242

Last edited by tomf; 03-03-2020, 10:36 PM.
    California

right on I have observed those things also ...a step further..I was working a small manufacturing site,, where they were finishing points ( small chips ) there they were. .. in ....fla.bo4foot area. Not like a master knapper would break 3 tangs off...broken tangs from west central fl...fracture base. Points west central fla. Kirk points seem to have a higher number of breaks......can you imagine acccedently snap game a base on one of these sturdy points...get one and gi.ve it the devil and see what it takes to break one....a lot of snap bases are lightly ground....good eye.....fla.boy. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	428258 Click image for larger version

Views:	225
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	428259 Click image for larger version

Views:	290
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	428261 Click image for larger version

Views:	278
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	428260

Floridaboy.

Comment

Sorry about spelling i shouldn’t be posting this late.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha. Know what you mean...

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Hal, you know bedtime is 9pm ! LOL

Originally posted by Harold Gorges View Post
      right on I have observed those things also ...a step further..I was working a small manufacturing site,, where they were finishing points ( small chips ) there they were. .. in ....fla.bo4foot area. Not like a master knapper would break 3 tangs off...broken tangs from west central fl...fracture base. Points west central fla. Kirk points seem to have a higher number of breaks......can you imagine acccedently snap game a base on one of these sturdy points...get one and gi.ve it the devil and see what it takes to break one....a lot of snap bases are lightly ground....good eye.....fla.boy. Click image for larger version

Views:	276
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	428258 Click image for larger version

Views:	225
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	428259 Click image for larger version

Views:	290
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	428261 Click image for larger version

Views:	278
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	428260
      Er...I think I follow you. You have a bunch of snapped off bases there. It's true it might be quite hard to snap a base cleanly and precisely. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

If it's sometimes intentional design , we should all be pleased as it's likely increased our tally of points we can consider 'complete'.

Of course, I'm not considering this a 'thing' based on one example. Next step is to re-examine my snap base collection (I must have a dozen at least) and see if I can find more evidence.
      California

Comment

another thing to consider...a knapper now will make a point then the handle. Indians had the handle then made the blade.....the Indians position is a harder one to be in ,he might have to make a small adjustment !! by snapping the tang and perhaps a few barb corners...although I think barbs were snapped ( burins ) cause they got in the way of cutting after several resharpinenings..I also think some thinner points broke from hard use ...well I think I talked this subject to death for now...thanks for making me think ...that’s one of the reasons I’m on this forum...fla.boy. P.s. I also always believed in the below the shoulder thing.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice knife Tom and killer material..Not sure what camera or lens your using but those pics are very crisp....Thanks for sharing
          North Central Kentucky

Comment

I posit that at campsites and worksites I am sure that they came back from hunting with their spears still hafted with the base but missing the tip. Tips do break off when used...... and they often break at the haft so many bases found are similar where they broke. The shaft is more valuable than the point in many cases (most..) I have found several bases in one hole while digging a lot of chips. In fact on one small camp site there were dozens of bases in a pile. (49th St. Bank Site). THIS IS WHY I DON"T LIKE TO DIG WORKSITES LOLOLOL Whole points are found more often in good hunting spots but they are harder to find than chipping spots.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice find! Like Kycherthunter said, what camera do you have?
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

A true snapped base Archaic point! Nah.. It fit in the haft the way it was, he had trouble thinning the base. the base is about right size for the type. Finished, used and reworked. Click image for larger version

Name:	G1 (3).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	428352 Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	428353 Click image for larger version

Name:	G1 (2).JPG
Views:	253
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	428354 Click image for larger version

Name:	G1-(1).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	428355
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love those pieces with a base that isnt thinned. I've got a few in my collection.

Nice find and valid points every one I have broken blades where you can see it just got bopped while thinning and broke then others that look like that's how they were made🤔

Comment

Working...
                X